Did I commit a serious foul-pas?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by loralei, Oct 22, 2009.

1. loralei

loralei Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    New Caney, Texas
    One of my extremely skittish Polish hens who is not laying yet just attacked me for moving her off another hens egg! My little Polish gals run when I even look in there direction but this morning when I moved this one she squawked LOUDLY! and pecked at me! What's that about?! Did I commit a serious foul-pas?

My gals are 22 weeks old and I am getting 4 or 5 colored eggs a day (no complaints tho! [​IMG]) so I'm sure the Polish are not laying yet since they lay white eggs. Will a hen set another hen's egg?

2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Sounds like your hen is broody. Not only will she hatch someone else's eggs, she'll sit on golf balls or corn cobs or even thin air and she will always be crabby if you try to move her or take what's under her.

3. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    i agree ... that is text-book broody behaviour

faux pas (foe-pah)

french for "bad step"

4. addy8

addy8 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2009
    the Best Peach State
    Fowl pas-
    A mis-step or error committed by an unwitting chicken owner. Usually followed by hand wringing, anxiety, and a quick post to BYC![​IMG]

5. ladrifter

ladrifter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Liberty, Ky
    she may have been trying to lay an egg !

6. loralei

loralei Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    New Caney, Texas
    Yesss! That's it addy8! [​IMG] Sure hope I didn't truamatize the poor darling by taking the egg from her though. Recently an egg got broken and they were all pecking at it so when I saw the egg in the run I wanted to get it out asap and didn't think about my girlies feelings. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  7. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Recently an egg got broken and they were all pecking at it so when I saw the egg in the run I wanted to get it out asap and didn't think about my girlies feelings.

Excellent move. You do not want them to learn to be egg eaters.

I have never worried about taking the eggs from them in their presence. They continue to lay in the same nest after they see me take the egg. I mark the pullets I catch laying as I am in the process of deciding which pullets I will keep for my laying and breeding flock. This involves seriously disturbing them while they are laying. They still go back to the same nest the next day or, if they have not finished laying, they will almost immediately go back and complete the task. Unless I have what I consider a good reason, I do not disturb them while laying, but it does not seem to bother them when I do.

Don't assume she is broody until you see her setting on the nest overnight. They are living animals and I guess it is possible for her to go broody before she has laid an egg, but I think it is extremely unlikely. However, a hen will definitely set another hen's, duck's, pheasant's, goose's, or golf pro's eggs.

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Yeah!! I loved your play on words...hehehehe..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by