Did I cook my eggs?

confusedturtle

Songster
8 Years
Apr 6, 2011
Virginia
Well I think I've figured out why my previous hatches failed so badly, when I bought my incubator I thought I had bought a still air incubator so I adjusted my temps accordingly. Well today (day 6 of this hatch attempt) I was just sitting there looking at the eggs when it dawned on me, my incubator was giving off of a low humming sound. I lifted the lid and noticed the very obvious fan in the top that I had stupidly overlooked every other time I inspected it and cleaned it. My temps have been steady between 100-100.5, and I'm incubating call duck eggs. It was at 100 for the first 4 1/2 days then it bumped up to 100.5 and stayed for the last 23ish hours. Did I cook the poor babies? I'm not supposed to candle them again until tomorrow, should I check now? This really sucks! I hope I didn't kill them, what should I do :he

I am extremely impatient and was freaking out thinking I had murdered them all :he so I decided to candle them a day early expecting to find the worst. Of the 12 that I put in the incubator #12 shows 0 signs of development, #7 looks as though it quit pretty early on and the rest are showing good veining. :weee most looked about equal in development and there were 2 that look a little behind and about 4 that looked as though they were ahead of schedule. Should I adjust the temp back down to 99 or leave them be? I won't do anymore adjustments for a few hours since I opened it to candle the eggs. When I first realized what I had done I made a tiny adjustment, which of course means I probably adjusted it by way too much lol. Any advice or suggestions?

You probably still ok.. try lowering temp a bit.. make sure you don't leave unattended until you know it's stable

Thank you, I don't have to go anywhere for about 2 hours so I will watch it closely
1f44d-1f3fc.png

If it reassures you I once had a incubator on day 18 for chicks go to 108F (cat jumped on it and messed it up) for an unknown amount of time and only lost 2 out of 24 (2 others where duds). So they are stronger then you think.

Back
Top Bottom