Did I cook my eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Witchgrass, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Witchgrass

Witchgrass Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2016
    Bandera, Texas
    Yesterday was day 17 of 21 in the nursery. Last night, I had let a heat lamp on an orphaned chick in the same room as the incubator. When I got home this evening, the thermometer inside the incubator read 104. Are they toast? I have kept the door shut to that room to try and keep the temp stable due to fluctuating temps in the house and due to our crazy weather we've been having here in Texas. I'm sure the temp was probably that high for most of the day. Any chance they will survive?

2. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Yes, there is a chance. It will depend on how long they were that hot. Have you candled them to see if they are still alive?

3. Witchgrass

Oct 18, 2016
    Bandera, Texas
    I am very new to candleing eggs, and these are Very dark Maran eggs, possibly making it even harder for me to tell what is going on inside. Not feeling very good about it at this point. :(

4. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Oh ok, I gotcha. All you can then is hope for the best. There's a good chance that some will make it! Keep your :fl!

5. Witchgrass

Oct 18, 2016
    Bandera, Texas
    Day 20. I took a quick minute to listen and I could hear at least one chick pipping in the eggs. [​IMG]

6. Witchgrass

Oct 18, 2016
    Bandera, Texas
    Update. It's day 21. Have 3 completely out. Have two that have partially opened the eggs. Have 10 more or so that haven't done anything yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by