Did I Do It Wrong!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ilovemydog, Nov 18, 2011.

1. ilovemydog

ilovemydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Candle once at day 7 and saw some great air sacs' growing in about all 7 eggs. Anyway we couldn't find the markings on the eggs(under a broody) so we kept turning them lightly but not super slow. itll be day 20 on this upcoming wednesday so looking for a thanksgiving hatch [​IMG] do you think it was fine bcuz we did turn most of them or do you think i killed them.

i meant when i was candling them i kept turning them to see a better view. it was my first time so i want to make sure i just didn't kill them.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  2. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    I am new to chickens so my info is ? but it is my understanding you can't turn them too much just to little also if they are under a broody she will turn them and you don't have too. Have you tried candling one? Take it out and hold it to a small flashlight and see if you can see movement or veins. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
  4. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    If the eggs are being incubated by a broody hen you shouldn't need to turn them by hand. The hen turns them herself.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:Yeah, that.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm not quite certain why you were turning eggs under a broody.? She does that multiple times a day herself. Anyway, no you did not cause any harm. If they were fertile, they will hatch.

7. ilovemydog

ilovemydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Sorry guys i meant when i was candling them i kept turning them to see a better view. it was my first time so i want to make sure i just didn't kill them.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You caused no harm.

9. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    As long as you were shaking them too much. Just plain turning them wouldn't do any harm.

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by