Did I do the right thing?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 7L Farm, Sep 8, 2010.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I went into the coop to get a bowl & didn't want to let them out. When I walked in I told them get back & no we are not going out. Well one of younger chicks tried to escape & I pinned her to the side of the door & grabbed her & she was trying to get away & upon doing this I pulled some tail feathers not out but some. I had no intention of ever hurting them but need for them to listen to me cause I have no roo. How do y'all get them to mind ? Did I do the wrong thing or what?

2. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Sorry, but you mean 'food' to them. Unless you have feeders constantly filled and they learn that is where food comes from, they will see you and know its time to eat and they will congregate at the gate and harass you everytime you try to go in. I suggest you discover another way to go in faster. I usually throw in a few handfuls of grain off to the side, so they attack the food and then I sneak in. Some still sneak out if I'm not fast enough, but when they see the others eating, they are desparate to get back in. I don't think you will get chickens to mind you. If I have already fed them and still need to get back in, I might need to bring in something to swing around. Like I might use a stick to hit the door, doorpost, door, doorpost, etc....until they move out the way.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  3. TheMainException

TheMainException Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Lebanon, PA
    I have trouble keeping mine in too, but if I'm carrying the long stick of a rake (minus the metal rake part), they take heed and back up accordingly. I don't hit them with it, but I do nudge them with it if they start heading for the door before I'm in and have it closed.

4. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Food thrown in first is a good way to distract them and I have an old frizzy-head broom to swing if they don't get back. [​IMG]
    I'm sure she will be fine. [​IMG]

5. Karen_at_LittleBrook

Karen_at_LittleBrook Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    Rome, NY
    I dont think I understand the original post... and I read it three times. Was it your intention to teach her a lesson and make her fearful of getting near or out of the door so you pinned her against the wall and tugged some feathers in an attempt to teach not to do that??? Im pretty sure chickens dont learn like that. They have one thing on their minds and that is food. It is instinct. They see you, you are their "parent" and you provide them with food. I would never want to make my animals/chickens fearful of me. If they see you esp with something in your hands they will come running. Great idea to open the door just a bit and toss something in... even if its a few clovers or bits of grass to distract them. I do it with mine all the time. My chickens also try to get their heads out of the door to grab some grass every time I open it. I use as towel draped in front of me and it kind of sweeps them back a bit... I step in and close the door. It works on the way out to. By the way, I use the towel that I brought in with me to sit on and drape across my lap because my girls love to hop up and sit on my lap:love

6. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:It all happened so fast. I definitely don't want them fearful of me.I let them out everyday but I watch them because of predators at the farm. It seemed like they new that it wasn't time to go out except for this one chick that tried to escape.She was moving fast so the only thing I could do was pin her with my leg which I did & then I grabbed her & she was still trying to escape . She squeezed some more & I ended up at the tail feathers & the feathers got pulled some it scared me because the tail feathers were pulled some & I thought I had hurt her. I think from now on I'm gonna carry a stick & shoo them away. I wasn't trying to teach her a lesson I just had something else to do & didn't have time to chase her if she got out.

7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Don't worry - I think chicken brains are like gnat brains - unless treats are involved, nothing can be taught.
    You haven't ruined your chicken for life.

8. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Quote:Do you mean to say that if I get some teeny tiny treats and use them effectively I can have trained gnats?! [​IMG]

To the OP, I always put my chicken's treats and food in the same location well away from the door, so they usually wait in the vicinity of treat central. On the occasion that one tries to make a break for it, I usually nudge them back in with my foot, and not a one of them has become afraid of my foot yet. She'll be all right.

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you have given them the taste of freedom, they will always want out as you are associated with freedom. If you had never let them range, they would mob you at the door b/c you are the bringer of goodies, but would likely not bolt.

10. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Do you mean to say that if I get some teeny tiny treats and use them effectively I can have trained gnats?! [​IMG]

To the OP, I always put my chicken's treats and food in the same location well away from the door, so they usually wait in the vicinity of treat central. On the occasion that one tries to make a break for it, I usually nudge them back in with my foot, and not a one of them has become afraid of my foot yet. She'll be all right.

I told her I was sorry but she twisted her head at that look of curiosity & said bock bock. Your right she's fine & I know she wants out to chase grasshoppers. So like every day I will let them out for a few hours & they will be in heaven.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by