Did I do the right thing?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GothChick, Oct 28, 2010.

1. GothChick

GothChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Hi everyone,

So I had 2 pips really early yesterday morning. I went to bed last night and woke up to one healthy happy fully dry chick and then one zipped chick. I waited till the zip chick hatched and then was going to leave them both in the incubator. Well..... the BCM chick had probably hatched last night and had already been in the incubator for at least 12+ hours. I think it was getting hungry because it kept pecking at the other chick and then began pecking open the other eggs! I decided that I couldn't leave it in there so I crack the incubator open just enough to fit my hand and took the chick out. I showed it how to eat and drink and then put it in my brooder with my other bantam chicks I had already had. Did I do the right thing or should I have left in in the incubator? [​IMG] I was just worried that it would hurt the other eggs/chicks.

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I don't think it would have hurt anything to leave it in there. They don't need food or water for 3 full days. I also think the eggs getting messed with incurages them to hatch. People get away with opening the incubator all the time but its not a good habit to get in to.

3. GothChick

GothChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Ok I was just worried because it was chipping away the other eggs and I didn't want it to hit a blood vessel or anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by