did I fry them?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stargazingmommy, Dec 24, 2011.

1. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    We have a broody sitting on a duck egg and now 3 banty eggs. The kids have a chickbator, and this morning we took a laid today duck egg and 3 of the chick eggs and put them in the bator. The banty eggs have been under the hen 8 days and I'm seeing nothing in them, so not real hopeful.

problem...I went to bed, there was a small towel next to the bator and above it. Cat(or maybe dog?) knocked the towel on top of the bator. When I woke up 7 hours later the temp was 120. I'm guessing that's really really really bad and theres not much hope. I obviously moved the towel and moved the bator to the top of the pellet stove(which isn't working and off), with the hopes the cats will ignore it.

I opened one of the eggs this morning (a very porous one) and didn't see much of anything at all
    its a crappy pic from my cell, but this is what it looked like.

[​IMG]

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I dunno, but I wanna give you a bump...Im learning too...before I get brave enough to venture into incubating eggs...

3. stargazingmommy

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Quote:From reaading here I've learned not to give up to fast...so no matter what I'll be leaving them at least a few more days.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Leave them in at correct temp for 10 days and then candle. Unless you smell something you shouldn't first.

5. free_loader

free_loader Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2007
    DeLeon Springs
    120? probably no good, typically anything over 102 for an extended period of time is then end of the line... if you don't currently have anything else you want to put in the bator, give it a few days and candle, however if you have something else you want to set, i'd throw it out

6. stargazingmommy

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Quote:nope, dont have anything else unless I want to snag another duck egg and stick in it.
    I'm thankful I didn't put the 2 wk old duck egg in there like planned, It's doing so well under miss broody I just left it there

7. stargazingmommy

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    what should be the deadline to leave them if I don't see any positive evidence > 2 weeks? 3?

8. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

9. stargazingmommy

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Quote:daay 10 candled and all have nice air cells and dark spots. I think they aare good to go, at least at this point [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by