Did I get 2 roosters oh no?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pattyhen, Mar 8, 2015.

1. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    I went to rural King last night to see the chicks. All the containers were empty except for the Black Sex Link chicks. I couldn't resist buying two chicks. I come home and then I look on the internet to see what information I could find on them. Then I read you can sex them right after hatching because the male has white on his head and the hen is all black. The chicks I got one of them has lots of white and the other one has a tiny white spot on the head. I dont have a camera or I would show pics of them. Bubba my head rooster is not going to like competing with 2 nine pound roosters. Please tell me the one with the tiny white dot might be a girl..

Thank you,
    Patty

2. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    Pictures?

3. pattyhen

Apr 20, 2007
    I dont have a camera.. Sorry.

Patty

4. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    Well it's hard to say without pictures but if they truly are a autos ex breed then I would say yes you have two roosters but there is no guarantee. I guess you will have to wait it out

5. Princess Silkie

Princess Silkie New Egg

Feb 7, 2015
    Ohio
    Female chicks grow their flight feathers quicker than males. If you hold out their wings, and the one with little white has longer feathers than the one with more white, it may be a girl.
    Hope this helps.

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Sex linked fast feathering is a genetic trait that only applies if it is selectively bred for; those chicks may or may not demonstrate that trait. Check out the chick pictures on black sex-linked chicks and you will be able to guess better. Farm store suppliers are famous here for inaccurately sexed chicks. Once I got four cockrels out of five chicks from the 'pullets only' bin! Mary

7. pattyhen

Apr 20, 2007
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I thought with buying 2 I had a 50 50 chance of getting one hen. I think I have 2 little roos because both of them have that barred rock look on the wings. I'll let you all know when I hear the first crow or maybe crows.

Thanks,
    Patty

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by