Did I get a blue rock? Help.

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by MustLoveGoats, Feb 4, 2017.

1. MustLoveGoats

MustLoveGoats Just Hatched

Feb 4, 2017
    I can't find much on google. I can't find many pictures of blue rock chicks, either.
    I hatched barnyard mix chicks. My roosters are hatchery white rocks. I understand they can be recessive or dominant white. I'm going to assume recessive because my wyandotte eggs hatched marked up like barred rocks with rose combs.
    Anyway. I have a silver chick. I assume came from my barred rock hen. Is this a blue rock? Can you get a blue rock this way? My hens are GLW, speckled sussex, light sussex, production red, barred rock, cuckoo maran. It came from a light colored egg.

More pics in comments. [​IMG]

2. MustLoveGoats

Feb 4, 2017
    [​IMG]

3. MustLoveGoats

Feb 4, 2017
    [​IMG]

4. MustLoveGoats

Feb 4, 2017
    [​IMG]

5. MustLoveGoats

Feb 4, 2017
    Another silver

[​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Sure could be.

My understanding is the white Rocks can be hiding a LOT under that white. Looks like you have one that has the dilutant gene for the black/blue/splash combo, you just can't see it cause the dominant white the bird carried "turns off" all the black group colors on that bird's feathers.

Can you post again when they're feathered out?

7. MustLoveGoats

Feb 4, 2017
    I sure can. I wish I could tell which of my eggs are from my barred rock and not my Wyandottes. [​IMG] the 2nd that hatched has a giant yellow dot, yellow legs and silver. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    All chicks with dots on head are from the barred and are male. Hope that helps.

All rose comb are from Wyandotte but there could be some single comb half Wyandotte too. Rose is dominant and some rose comb birds are split for single comb, I'd think this is especially true with hatchery stock but unsure.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon

I don't think you can guarantee the white Rock males are not carrying barring, so that may not be accurate here. That's why we say not to use white males in a sex link cross.

10. MustLoveGoats

Feb 4, 2017
    If that were the case, I managed to hatch 15+males and 1 female. Haha.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by