Did I get a couple layers in with my meaties? *New Pics*

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by PotterWatch, Mar 1, 2009.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I picked up some layers and meat birds last week. They would have hatched the 15th or 16th so they are almost 2wks old. Some of the meat birds have definitely gotten bigger, but there are two that are still basically the same size, they fit right in with my layers. Do you sometimes get one or two that don't grow nearly as quickly or could I have gotten something other than meat birds with those two? They also both have lighter feathers coming in than the others, almost white feathers rather than the buff/red ones the others are getting. In this picture, they are the ones all the way on the right, there is one of the bigger meat birds just above them:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  2. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    What breeds are they (or...what are they supposed to be)?

3. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The three really light ones in the picture are delawares, the really dark ones are an EE and an RIR. There is one lighter RIR that kind of blends in with the meaties. The meat birds are the light red ones, they are red broilers.

4. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I'll try to get a picture of just the broilers to show the difference in them.

Ok, here are some pictures I just took with two of the broilers and two I think might not be broilers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The two little ones also have puffy cheeks just like EEs generally do, so I am wondering if they are EEs that just looked like the broilers when they first hatched. Their legs also look as if they are getting a green cast to them. If that's the case, I have too many layers and not enough broilers, darn it!!!

5. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    Looks like you got two RIR's to me. Wonder why they did that? How many meaties did you oreder? Maybe they were packing peanuts.

Edit: I just noticed who this was. Very nice looking birds! LOL

Chef

6. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Yeah, nice looking RIRs aren't they? [​IMG]

The first picture I posted was a bit confusing I think. That picture is of all the birds I have in the brooder right now. Some of them are supposed to be layers, but nine of them were supposed to be red broilers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by