Did I get duped? Not a Buff Orpington!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Southern Chickens, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Southern Chickens

Southern Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    NorthWest Florida
    I bought this rooster as a chick from a feed store as a Buff Orpington. I don't think that is the case. I did get 6 buff pullets and they all seem to be Buff Orpingtons. I also got two red sex-link pullets and two other hens from an auction. Can anyone tell me what he is? I don't know what the two darker hens are, if anyone can help with them as well. (Pictures 3 & 4)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    The Roo I dunno-- but the darker ones-- Maybe Red Star/Red Production hens?? if so-- great layers!

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    The rooster is definitely not a Buff Orpington. He as a buff barred pattern and yellow legs - indicators that he is not a Buff. He's pretty, though. I would guess that he some kind of sex-link.

4. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    The roos body shape reminds me of my RIR/Leghorn roo. He is a pretty roo with those lighter colors. I don't know what the hens are but they are some nice fluffly girls.

Here's a picture of my roo. He was the only mixed that came out big and was the first chick I seen hatch. He had a little fat butt when he was a chick.
    [​IMG]

5. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Might he be a red sex-link roo????

6. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Quote:That's my guess, too. Red...white...large single comb...has all the trappings of a red-sex link roo.

7. Southern Chickens

Mar 11, 2007
    NorthWest Florida
    THAT STINKS!!! I really wantted to be able to sell my Buff Orpinton eggs and now I guess that I will have to order some roosters that are buff orpington!

8. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Then hens don't look like buff orpingtons either... IMO.... at least not all of them do..

9. Southern Chickens

Mar 11, 2007
    NorthWest Florida
    Quote:In picture #2, the hen closest to the blue thing, is she a buff orp? If not, I am going to scream!

10. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Buff Orpingtons will have whitish legs.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by