Did i get good chick food?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Arkantex, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Arkantex

Arkantex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    West Texas
    Well my chicks are supposed to show up monday or tuesday. My wife is in town and picked up some chick food. She got Purina Mills Start and Grow Medicated food. Is that a good chick food?

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    that's quite adequate. [​IMG] it's what we used

3. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    thats what i'm using also.

4. Arkantex

Arkantex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    West Texas
    Ok that makes me happy. Do I just feed them as much as they want or is there a certain amount per chick?

5. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    idk i let them eat as much as they want. I just keep checking the feeder because i don't fill it all the way up since they tend to scratch shavings and poop in the feed trough so i don't waste as much.

6. 3dogs

3dogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    southern CA
    There is probably information on the feed bag regarding amounts to feed. For starting day olds the issue is to make sure they learn how to eat and drink. I put a piece of burlap over the bedding in the brooder and sprinkle the feed onto it for the first few days. Chicks automatically start pecking around their turf and will find the feed. Once they are eating the feed it should be placed in a feeder to keep it clean. You may need to dip some beaks into water to introduce them to it. The rest usually copy the activity.

7. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Just keep the food available 24/7. They will not overeat and in the beginning they will eat / poop / sleep non stop. As they grow older they will stop eating when they're full so they never overeat. You can keep the food available always.

Some people like to ration their chickens but I really don't see the need. Free choice feeding is much more convenient for them and for me.

8. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I have never limited the amount of food my chickens get. Unlike dogs and cats, they will not "eat themselves to death" or get fat from eating too much chicken feed. They do not eat if they do not need to.

9. Mom2Five

Mom2Five Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2011
    Stuarts Draft, VA
    Quote:x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by