Did i get good chick food?

Arkantex

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 17, 2011
West Texas
Well my chicks are supposed to show up monday or tuesday. My wife is in town and picked up some chick food. She got Purina Mills Start and Grow Medicated food. Is that a good chick food?

that's quite adequate.
smile.png
it's what we used

idk i let them eat as much as they want. I just keep checking the feeder because i don't fill it all the way up since they tend to scratch shavings and poop in the feed trough so i don't waste as much.

There is probably information on the feed bag regarding amounts to feed. For starting day olds the issue is to make sure they learn how to eat and drink. I put a piece of burlap over the bedding in the brooder and sprinkle the feed onto it for the first few days. Chicks automatically start pecking around their turf and will find the feed. Once they are eating the feed it should be placed in a feeder to keep it clean. You may need to dip some beaks into water to introduce them to it. The rest usually copy the activity.

Just keep the food available 24/7. They will not overeat and in the beginning they will eat / poop / sleep non stop. As they grow older they will stop eating when they're full so they never overeat. You can keep the food available always.

Some people like to ration their chickens but I really don't see the need. Free choice feeding is much more convenient for them and for me.

I have never limited the amount of food my chickens get. Unlike dogs and cats, they will not "eat themselves to death" or get fat from eating too much chicken feed. They do not eat if they do not need to.

Back
Top Bottom