1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Did I get good deal on nest box, also question about best bedding to use

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by eggcited2, Oct 6, 2012.

1. eggcited2

eggcited2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    I just purchased a 10 hole metal nest box (two rows of five nest boxes), clean and in excellent condition. I paid $40 for it. Did I get a good deal or did I pay too much?

I am going to disinfect it with bleach, rinse it well with water and let it air out, once I use the bleach on it.

I have seen them on craigslist for $50 for only four nest boxes (metal) and I've seen wood ones for $75 for a four hole nest box system. So I am hoping I didn't pay too much for a 10 hole system.

It will go inside the new chicken house ( 9 x 16) at the land in Illinois. I am hoping to move within the next couple weeks.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  2. HouseCat

HouseCat Chillin' With My Peeps

The 10 hole nesting boxes made out of sheet metal w/ hinged wooden perches are around $200 brand new so I would say you got a hell of a deal. Plus it should suit 30+ hens comfortably.

3. eggcited2

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    Oh my gosh. I was so lucky. The nest box is in super great condition. Plus the guy also threw in a feeder: stands about 12 inches tall, is 5 feet long, has perch down each side of it, has wire over the top for chickens to put their heads through to eat, and is about 3-4 inches deep for the food. He also gave me two metal feeders (look like they would hold about 25 pounds each and a metal waterer - again, another large size item.

I do need to ask another question: each nest box has a plastic grate in the bottom of it, so what would be best for bedding? Would pine shavings be ok or are they too small and fall through the grates I have heard straw is not really good for nesting material. How deep to make the bedding?

4. HouseCat

I use straw without any problems. Just a couple good handfuls will do. If all you have is pine shavings they will work too. 2-3 inches of material will give them a nice cushion. Just make sure you follow through with the bleach because you definitely don't want to drag any creepie-crawlies into your coop. Also, if you have any Diatomaceous Earth handy, sprinkle some of that into each nest as well to guard against parasites.
    I paid $100 for two 10-hole nesting boxes from a lady and she threw in four 18 inch feeders. She had just moved onto the property, found them in her barn, and just wanted them out of her way. She definitely didn't know what she had.

5. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    I use straw in 7 of my 10 nest boxes I built with repurposed wood. 2 others have pine shavings and 1 has both. Just in case a bird has a preference. But mine are solid bottomed.

6. eggcited2

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    That is rather what happened here too. The people purchased a beautiful 175 + year old home and found these in an out building. They knew the things were for chickens, but had no idea of the value. I am so thankful to them for letting me have them so such good prices.

Do you have to use gloves, mask and eye protection when using the diatomaceous earth? I was going to use some a few years ago in the areas where my horses are, but when I read the instructions, it scared me into not using it.

7. HouseCat

As long as it's food grade and you're not in a small closet throwing fistfulls of powder in the air, you'll be fine. Most of the health precautions are for people who work around it everyday. I scoop up a handful and literally throw it around my coop to get a nice even dusting every few weeks. You'll want to do it during the day when your coop is opened up and not full of chickens though. Food grade DE is totally inert.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by