did i get new hampshire reds instead of red sex link?

Over Easy PA

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 8, 2011
I'm 3 days into this new adventure! Picked up 7 black sex links and 3 red sex links on Tuesday. Now I'm wondering if the red sex links are actually full blown New Hampshire reds? They are all 4 or 5 weeks old. The red ones are still getting some of their feathers coming in, but are mostly feathered out. Part of what I liked about them was that some of their feathers are red with black bars -- really pretty!

Do red sex links ever have black in the feathers? They don't have any white at all, or maybe they will have some white when the rest of their feathers come in? Or do I probably have New Hampshires? I'm confused!

It seems like New Hampshires are not as good layers as the red sex links? Should I be disappointed?

Last edited:
So many quesitons:

First: We need pictures!!!

Secondly- NH are great layers, and usually larger than sex-links.

Thirdition::: Some sex-links will get color variations when they feather out. It depends on what the hatchery used to create the sex-link. But usually, no.

Quartrary---- You will only be as disapointed as you let yourself be
wink.png

Last edited:
My red sex links do not have black on their feathers, but I have only had a couple of them. Maybe someone else with more experience with them will chime in.

BTW
welcome-byc.gif

Hello! I'm pretty sure that red sex links can be made from several combinations of birds, resulting in some different color patterns....

I bought some chicks from TSC that were advertised as "red pullets". I got six, and two of them look like your typical RSL, but three of them look HUGE, and are very much like a NHR, and there's one with absolutely no white at all, she's big, and just looks like a red hen....

The two that looks like the RSL have a smaller build and have already started laying...And the pullet eggs are the really surprisingly tiny!

CRAZY HUH?

Sharon

99148_0708011115.jpg

Here's a not so good photo of one of the red ones. You can see some of the black markings on the feathers on her back / wing.

We have 3 gorgeous red-headed daughters -- so needed 3 red chickens, naturally!

Back
Top Bottom