1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Did i hurt my chicken? wing clipping quesion please help!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chicken_Addict, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Chicken_Addict

Chicken_Addict Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Kellyville Oklahoma
    ok so i went to clip there wings i grabbed one sat him in my lap and got 1 feather cut and he freaked out i maybe cut 1/4 inch if that so i let him go fearing that it hurt him. does this hurt them? any easy way to clip them. thanks in advance!!

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

[​IMG] No, I doubt you hurt him...but he got what he wanted...away! If there was no blood, there was no pain. I am sure the sound of the scissors just scared him. Clip away!! Mine are due to get another clipping shortly!

3. Chicken_Addict

Chicken_Addict Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Kellyville Oklahoma
    nope no blood lil turd ur right he got his way i will do it tommorow no mater what!!! thanks for the advice!

4. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    have flour or cornstarch or similar handy to staunch blood if you clip too close. Also, it helps to hold wing out a bit to see if you are clipping the "quick" or not.

5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Parrots raise a fuss like you are killing them too. Once they figure out that doesn't work they sit and let you do it. Chickens are no different. They're just trying to psyche you out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by