Did I hurt my lil white chick?

naakte

Songster
8 Years
Apr 10, 2011
Branson, missouri
i hatched 4 chicks out of 5 eggs set 9/7/2011 4 black and one lil white one. one of the black ones never hatched but was fully grown with the whole yolk sac absorbed. While candeling I dropped one egg on the small end. I put it in the steam incubator anyway and just watched it. 3 lil black ones hatched on their own the white one i helped out. one of the lil black ones was walking funny this morning so i checked him out. It had a dried string holding its foot keeping it from being able to walk, and from its ambilical cord its yolk sack was coming out. I euthanized the poor lil chick. The white one I am worried about because it is a lot smaller than the black ones, and it keeps its head low. it is just not acting like the others at all. do you think dropping the white one caused some kind of brain damage?

I am posting another question regarding cleaning my incubator.

Well, I am sorry about what happened, but you did post about a chick in the incubating and hatching eggs section. Being an Incubating and Hatching Eggs topic kind of person, I was wanting to know about your Steam Incubator.

Quote:
Am I not in the correct section? sorry if I am not. I have 2 egg giants. one has an auto turner and a fan in it. the "steamer" is the second one with no turner and no fan, and i use from day 18 to 21. I added sponges to the bottom to create more humidity thats all it is. I just call it a steamer.

Oh you have little giants. You could probably get quite a bit more replies on the raising chicks section. I think if you could get some pictures or a video on here I could help you. And some more people could help you too.

The reason I am so very worried is that I dropped the egg on day 18. it landed on the small end. it was pretty cracked up but i put it in the steam bator anyway and ended up helping it out of its shell on day 21. I am amazed it is alive, it was a nasty fall. I hope I didnt hurt the little chick. I just made a short video of them in their brooder cage. I will post it here

video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqIxkEp__sQ

see
how the white one is so unsteady. I hope the fall didnt damage her because it was my fault for not being careful when candling.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom