Did I kill it or save it??

kvmommy

Songster
9 Years
Jan 2, 2011
I have 3 of 6 eggs hatched, of the last 3, one i'm sure is dead, the other two are dark brown eggs and wiggled and chirped like crazy on day 19 and I had the first hatch on day 21 and the last this afternoon which is Day 22. The dark brown eggs haven't twitched chirped or anything since day 19, so I was sure they were dead. Plus the humidity was down to 59 and my first chick is pecking everything....the shells the leftover membrane goo, the other chicks the other eggs etc. I figure...well it must be hungry and its been in there for almost 40 hours and I see no pips whatsoever, so I decide to take the 2 older chicks out, leave the one, clean out the shells, and refill the wells...and candle the eggs. What I didn't know was that one had pipped and the others knocked it so I couldn't see the pip. It was pip side down on a soggy papertowel. I didn't even notice the pip when I started to candle...until it chirped really loud. Ahhh! I'm afraid I shrinkwrapped it. But on the other hand...would it have been ok if it had stayed pip side down on a soggy papertowel? I'm just irritated with myself.

Just keep your eyes on it, if it doesn't seem to be getting anywhere with its zipping, help it a bit. It pipped, so that is a good sign on it hatching!

One egg I was going to toss on day 23 and when I picked it up I heard peeping. It had pipped the bottom side of the egg. I chipped some of the shell away and moistened the membrane and put it back into the hatcher and it hatched. Good luck and keep the faith...
jumpy.gif

well it started to zip! but it was the strangest zip i've ever seen. it somehow chipped away the shell while the very dry membrane was intact. The only part of the membrane that was punctured was where it had initially pipped. It stopped about 1/4 from the pip and after about 3 hours I zipped it to 3/4 and moistened the membrane. Then with the flashlight I saw that there was some vessels so I left the outer membrane and let it finish. It did nothing at first for a couple hours. I checked and nothing...heard a sound about 5 minutes later and it was out! Its much bigger than the others and won't stop chirping incredibly loudly. I'm worried about it...plus its managed to wake my whole household.
sad.png

I'm sorry, I know you're worried but I couldn't help but to laugh at the statement about the chick waking the entire household. I have young children so I sympathize with you on waking the household up. If he hatched pretty much unassisted I'm sure he's fine. Because he's bigger maybe is why it took him a little longer. He's the last egg in the incubator, right? Probably why he's chirping up a storm.

Hope all is well and everyone quieted down!

Even though he was damp I put him and a sick one in a separate box into the brooder box. He quieted down immediately! But this morning I checked in and he somehow got out of the box and was running around with the rest of the chicks. I have the newborns with 2 week old silkies and he's almost as big as them. He's huge and still loud! But nothing like last night. lol

Back
Top Bottom