Did I kill my favorite chicken????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by misschickenlittle, Jan 8, 2011.

1. misschickenlittle

misschickenlittle REALLY wants a new title

Oct 30, 2010
    Missouri
    Last night when I got home from work the Roo was going NUTS! Litterally crowing like crazy and it was dark! I thought, what in the world...

I was headed out with some lettuce and to collect eggs. As I approached the coop, (our house perimeter lights were on so I could see) the Roo and the girls were outside already... I noticed one of my lovely Polish was what appeared to be laying on the ground and not moving. I called her name and nothing. Oh, no! So I went in the run and sure enough, she was dead. [​IMG]

I have no idea what it could have been. She was only 9 months old, and never showed any signs of sickness. This morning I went out to check on them and one of my RIR's was jsut sitting in the doorway of a nesting box all puffed up. Before I approached her, I looked around the coop and saw a few bright red spots on the bedding. Then I picked her up, she didn't even protest, (those girls don't like being touched), and her left foot was covered in a bloody looking poo. So... what in the wolrd could it be... I have her isolated now and we're going to treat for Coccidiosis. I've never wormed the girls so maybe that's my problem.

So my question is.... A while ago someone on here said to feed higher protein in the winter to help with egg production. But they also said to mix something with something (obviously I don't remember.) I thought ok, so last time I bought feed I bought the 22% grower feed. [​IMG] Was that bad???? I also thought maybe that's bad so the last few days I've been giving the egg shells mixed in with a mush to give them more calcium. Again, if they aren't crushed up really fine will that hurt them???

Oh, and I've been using the water from inside the house and we recently restarted our water softner... would that hurt them to have the salt in the water??

(I feel so dumb. [​IMG] )

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Ack, I posted in your other thread.

3. misschickenlittle

Oct 30, 2010
    Missouri
    Sorry... guess I should have just posted it all here to begin with.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

While I can't help with what it might be (your guess of cocci is as good as anything I'd come up with), I can assure you that none of the changes or things you've spoken of would have caused this, so don't beat yourself up with self-blame. Did you do a search on 'signs of cocci'??

Here's one link I've found...2nd posting down: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=190236

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  5. misschickenlittle

Oct 30, 2010
    Missouri
    Thanks for the comforting words that I probably didn't do this per se.

Anyway, I have looked at signs but every post helps. I will have to read this one too!

6. Zoey

Zoey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2009
    Big Island, Hawaii
    It's cocci, treat immediately or you may lose more .. Sulmet 12.5% works well... 2 Tablespoons per gallon of water for 2 days, then 1 Tablespoon per gallon of water for 4 more days .. ( make sure this is their only water they can get into for the entire treatment time or they won't get the right dose .... (Cordid also works well, if you cant find the other, follow package directions )

Do them all.

The egg withholding time is 3 weeks ..

You didn't kill them, ( they already had it ) however , cocci thrives on protein, so keep it to 16% regualr lay pellets, and scratch ok, but hold off on the eggs, cat food or other high protein things, for even 2 weeks after treatment ... or the medicine won't work, and it will make the condition worse ..

I am a moderator on another chicken forum, And this happened to my birds last year..
    I lost 4 birds over 6 months, before someone passed blood... there are 7 or so kinds of cocci, and only the cecal cocci produces blood in the feces ... ( I wasn't thinking )

If you are unsure , you can always take a few birds poops to the vet for a fecal float test, a minium charge, they can test for cocci, and other various things, including parasites ...don't wait too long, they should be treated ...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  7. misschickenlittle

Oct 30, 2010
    Missouri
    Thanks, Zoey. That was my first thought when I saw the blood. I've lost the RIR. I can't get any Corrid until Tuesday... maybe... I guess I'll have to see if Sulmet is available at the farm store here.

The others all still have the red in their faces except the 2 black Polish, so I'm guessing they are next.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by