Did I Kill My Poor Chicks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by The Monkey Mama, Oct 27, 2008.

1. The Monkey Mama

The Monkey Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Kennesaw, GA
    I have some Ameraucana eggs due to pip on Wed and I have some others that still have 2 weeks to go [due Nov 11 and 13].

I was trying to turn down the heat in my Little Giant Still Air incubator because after I had two not totally formed chicks in my hatch last week, several folks suggested it might be too hot.

Well, I turned it down too low [I HATE trying to adjust the temp on that LG...seriously].

They were at 97 all night - probably about 12 hours actually because I forgot to check first thing when I woke up. I turned it up as soon as I found it that low, but I still don't have it completely regulated.

Will that kill them?

I just feel sick... I've been turning these babies by hand at least 3 times a day and I've been SO excited about them - the 17 Ameraucana eggs have been growing GREAT up till now... and the other eggs were all fertile and growing too...

Kelly

2. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    It may delay the hatch, but they will likely be ok. There have been temps lower due to power outages and still hatch.

3. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I think a LITTLE lower is probably better than higher...

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    97 shouldn't kill them. They could still incubate at that. Just slower. It's too high of temps you have to be careful of. At 104F they die within hours but at 90 they can survive for a day or 2. I had buttons hatch after 2 power outages of unknown length had the incubator in the 80s.

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Lower temps is definitely less fatal than high temps. At worst, they may hatch a day late. I think you'll be fine. Good luck with your hatch.

Jody

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I had some eggs that my OEG hen had 'kicked' out of the nest. They haven't hatched yet, but 3 of the 5 are definitely alive and kicking!! They do seem to be a few days behind where they should be though. But these were ice cold when I found them. One of the other 2 had a blood ring, and the other candled clear when I brought it in. So I think your eggs should be fine!! [​IMG]

7. The Monkey Mama

The Monkey Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Kennesaw, GA
    Thank you all so much!

Unfortunately, I think I've killed the poor things anyway. [​IMG] I adjusted up this morning - TRYING to barely *breathe* on the temp control because it is so sensitive and hard to adjust and I went back 90 minutes later to check and it had gone to 109!!!! :eek:

The good news is that I had the sense to move the eggs that aren't due to hatch for 2 weeks to my other incuabator [a Hovabator which seems SO much easier to manage the temp on] this morning so they won't be affected by that jump.

But I think my 17 Ameraucanas are dead - I don't see how they could survive a crazy temp spike like that. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'll let you guys know how it works out, but I am not feeling hopeful. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thank you for your help - I was feeling so much better until I went to check the temp adjustment just now... grrrrr!

Kelly

8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Just wait a while before you toss them. It takes longer for the temp inside the egg to rise than it does for the air temp, so they might still be OK!!! [​IMG]

9. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I got the bright idea to take my eggs out of the bator, so I could clean it. I didn't know that you needed 2 bators when I first started, so I had staggered hatches in the same bator. After 3 failed hatches, I decided to take them out and clean it. I put them in a box with a light on them, and a thermometer with them. The temp got to 105 on the thermometer by the time I checked it, and I still had all 9 eggs hatch! So don't lose hope yet!!

10. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Keep up hope! Mine went down to 86 when our power failed last night. I'm terrified.

Your spike is scary but hang in there and give it a chance. They might surprise you yet.

We'll hold good thoughts for each others hatch. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by