1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Did I let the broilers live too long?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Wheeler Farms Chickens, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Wheeler Farms Chickens

Wheeler Farms Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    Piedmont, South Dakota
    I have slowly been killing off my broilers. I have 7 left that are now 3 months old today. One is not wanting to move at all today. I picked it up and its left leg is limp and the right is not. Did it have a stroke? Did I let it live too long?

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Why are you keeping them ?? are you going to process them ??. Yes they are to the point where they will begin to just keel over and die. at between 7-10 wks they should have been dispatched to your freezer, but if your intention was to keep them from the start you should have had a restricted their feed from day one. so it sounds like you have some decisions to make very soon.

3. Wheeler Farms Chickens

Jul 1, 2011
    Piedmont, South Dakota
    Quote:It is my first batch. I wanted to see how big they would get. I have restricted feeding to only during the day. It has not been my intention to be cruel. I have seen threads from people who have kept them anywhere from 7 weeks to 14 weeks. I dont plan to keep the next batch this long. It doesnt seem to get them any bigger than they were about a month ago.

4. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    I think it is good to gain experience by experimentation. I let a small (2lb.) at butcher time, Cornish X live and grow and butchered it at sixteen weeks. It produced a nine pound carcass. I had people tell me these small birds wouldn't grow. As long as a person is ready to accept the consequences, this is a great way to learn.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:x2

6. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:It is my first batch. I wanted to see how big they would get. I have restricted feeding to only during the day. It has not been my intention to be cruel. I have seen threads from people who have kept them anywhere from 7 weeks to 14 weeks. I dont plan to keep the next batch this long. It doesnt seem to get them any bigger than they were about a month ago.

Yes, they can live longer if you have a "specific" feeding and exercise plan for them.

What will you do with the remaining 7?

7. Wheeler Farms Chickens

Jul 1, 2011
    Piedmont, South Dakota
    They will get butchered this week. I dont want any of them to suffer. I am not cool with that AT ALL.

8. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Sounds like a good idea. Sorry to hear about your other losses. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by