Did I mess things up for this chick? PICS

MuskokaChick

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 20, 2011
Muskoka Region Ontario
I am on Day 18 and I just turned the eggs for the last time and increased the water for humidity...as I turned one egg I noticed it had a x shape crack in it...being a first timer, I am assuming it has pipped.

This is one of the eggs I took from a broody hen (so if I hadn't of taken it, it's hatch day would be today) There is another one that's hatch day is today, but nothing yet, and two other eggs hatch day is supposed to be Tuesday

*sigh*

Anyway...I guess if this chick makes it out and survives, once she is dry just scoop her out and Hope the other 3 start?

I am just worried that the pip was on the underside and I turn for that last time and now the pip spot is on the upperside...did I just mess things up for this chick?

Last edited:
I would say to leave the crack face up, but if you've turned it and are in lockdown to not open it again. Are you sure the crack wasn't in there when you took them from the hen? How long have they been in the incubator since you took them from the mom? I have had some hatch on the bottom of the egg and still made it. If the egg can wiggle at hatching it should be ok. I'm not a pro at this, and maybe someone can offer better advise than me, but it is a wait and see game sometimes. I wish you and your chicks the best!
smile.png

This egg was laid on June 11th (I dated them)
I took it from the hen on June 14th and put it in the bator with eggs laid on June 10th, 12, 13, 14.

The crack has never been there before...I candled on Day 14 and last night to see if there was still movement (Day 17) there was

Here is the picture

80400_chicken_56.jpg

That looks like a pip to me. It shouldn't matter how it is faced, up or down. Eggs get kicked around and roll about a lot and it doesn't affect them that much.

just trying to get the humidity up...

I have had it at 45 for the last 18 days...

I have seen different levels from different people. I am thinking I need to get it up to 70%...is this right?

thanks

smile.png

Well they are not professional pictures in the least! lol

I am using my Nikon D200 (macro lens)

I am a photographer, have stuff in a gallery in town.

www.shannonlafferty.blogspot.com

My daughters are so excited and got the brooder ready...trying to teach them patience...and that the egg might not hatch for a couple of days yet.

smile.png
I am Deaf in my left ear and very Hard of Hearing in my right, so I have asked my daughters to put their ear to the glass to see if they hear anything...nope...oh well.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom