Did i miss anything?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by weaselslucks, Jun 18, 2011.

1. weaselslucks

weaselslucks Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Southington,Ct
    So I have been trying to get an idea of what I want in a coop. I think I will go with the pvc pipe feeders and waterers to save on feed . I also want to make this as eco-friendly and wallet friendly as possible. Since I am in Ct winters are a concern.I want to make sure i have enough room for about twenty. From these qick sketches does it look like i am missing anything? Should I have more nest boxes or roosts ? is the ventilation ok? i would like mixed breeds like RIR's. Any feedback would be awesome.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kichohana

kichohana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Johnston County, NC
    Looks good so far. The wall to the right in pic #4 looks like it's 1/2 open for ventilation? If so - great - go with that. You'll want it open in the warmer weather. Ventilation is GOOD !!! I'd go with more roosts than nest boxes. Give 'em room to spread out. Make sure the nest boxes are lower than your lowest roost otherwise they'll roost in the nest boxes. I have 4 standard size hens, and 2 nest boxes. All 4 use the same box - the 2nd box doesn't get touched.

We'll be watching to see how it turns out! [​IMG]

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Quick Sketches??? You must be an engineer or something along those lines because those look like pretty good sketches to me.
    The plans look good - my chickens will be envious.

4. weaselslucks

weaselslucks Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Southington,Ct
    thank you I thought ventilation on the side and a large back window that can be closed. has anyone use like a clear placstic or something for a roof so there would be lots of lite? or will it make baked chicken?

5. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I used the smoke clear colored roofing for the run and it does a good job at blocking some sun but letting enough in and keepiung them dry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by