Did I miss the boat for winter laying? 13-14 week old hens, in MA

Sunshine_Amy

Songster
Apr 9, 2022
Western Mass
Hello good folks.

My girls (mixed breeds) were born in late May, and I was hoping for some of them to provide eggs starting in October, but I think I may have messed up the plan. I don't normally want to supplement lighting, but I was going do it a bit this first season, just to enjoy that laying-through-the-first-winter thing. I don't want to do anything to compromise their health, and I know increasing lighting will speed up their maturity, "especially as they approach laying age" (says my reference), so the plan was to start supplementing lighting when it was still 15 hours (as the book recommends) and decrease from there as they mature. I misread the instructions and thought I didn't have to start this until Sept., as is true for "most of the country." But here in Massachusetts I just realized we're already at 13.5 hour days. Doh! 🤦🏼‍♀️
...My neighbor's birds are all still laying just fine. Maybe I'm calculating the daylight wrong? I'm using official sunrise to sunset times.

The earliest expected egg (from my Austrlorp) was going to be early October (followed within the month by my Ancona, Welsummer, & Sussex). I don't need all of my birds to lay, but would love to have even just one laying, over the winter.... Is there any chance I'll be getting one laying without intervention?

If not, I'm thinking I need to wait, now, until the last bird is supposed to be fully mature, to start increasing lighting, right, so I don't cause any to mature too fast? I don't want to separate them, and with a 6-8 monther I'm looking at Jan-March, right?...Or is there a chance that they are still far enough from maturity that I can bump up their lighting to 15 hours now, and start decreasing from here, without ill effect?

Mine were born the beginning of April last year. I had 1 start the very end of Aug another the beginning of Sept and I think the 3rd was mid Sept. I think my other 4 didn't start until after winter but days were still really short. two started in Feb and 2 in March. So the days were still quite short then (they are slower maturing breeds being 6-8 mo till they start). so think there is still a chance that yours could start in Oct. I am in MA as well.

Pullets usually lay the first winter regardless of daylight. They might still lay yet with no intervention. :]
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I realize they'll typically lay through the first winter, but I thought that if the daylight is too short when they're due to start laying that they'll wait to start until the light starts increasing... Do I have that wrong? Is it possible for a layer to get started even with something like 10-10.5 hours of daylight? If so I'd be delighted!
Mine were born the beginning of April last year. I had 1 start the very end of Aug another the beginning of Sept and I think the 3rd was mid Sept. I think my other 4 didn't start until after winter but days were still really short. two started in Feb and 2 in March. So the days were still quite short then (they are slower maturing breeds being 6-8 mo till they start). so think there is still a chance that yours could start in Oct. I am in MA as well.
@junior67 Thanks for this response. It sounds like your 5-month-laying breeds started on schedule in Sept., that's some reassurance given the 12-ish hours of daylight. If I'm understanding you right, you didn't have any start in October (the 6-7 month window for you), but these were all the 6-8 month laying breeds that you were waiting on?

I had May babies the year before and got eggs the week before Thanksgiving. They have been laying this whole time with a drop off in the extreme heat and only one molt.
I see that we're about the same latitude, so this is just the reassurance I need!

YAYYYYY, I'm gonna get eggs this Fall and winter, woooohooo!!!!! :celebrate
Thanks so much, everyone!!!:wee

@junior67 Thanks for this response. It sounds like your 5-month-laying breeds started on schedule in Sept., that's some reassurance given the 12-ish hours of daylight. If I'm understanding you right, you didn't have any start in October (the 6-7 month window for you), but these were all the 6-8 month laying breeds that you were waiting on?
yes none in Oct but I was waiting for the 6-8 mo layers so they weren't due to start until Oct at the earliest but none even showed signs of being close at that time so guessing even if it wasn't for daylight they wouldn't have started much before Nov or Dec. I had one faster maturing for a Cochin (should have been 6-8 mo) and she showed signs of being ready in the beg of Sept and she ended up being the one that laid Mid Sept (I would have to go back and look she may have even been Oct??? let me try to find where I posted it and see. I know I wasn't expecting it from her because of when it was and how long she had been showing (squatting, bright red big comb etc.) signs of being ready. My 2 other Cochins barely even had a comb still and like NO color in them come Oct still. LOL

yes none in Oct but I was waiting for the 6-8 mo layers so they weren't due to start until Oct at the earliest but none even showed signs of being close at that time so guessing even if it wasn't for daylight they wouldn't have started much before Nov or Dec. I had one faster maturing for a Cochin (should have been 6-8 mo) and she showed signs of being ready in the beg of Sept and she ended up being the one that laid Mid Sept (I would have to go back and look she may have even been Oct??? let me try to find where I posted it and see. I know I wasn't expecting it from her because of when it was and how long she had been showing (squatting, bright red big comb etc.) signs of being ready. My 2 other Cochins barely even had a comb still and like NO color in them come Oct still. LOL
Don't worry about looking it up, now, as I feel reassured now from everyone that it's likely I'll get eggs in October. Thanks for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom