Did I ruin my birds??

Bugdude

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
So this is my first go around at chickens and i still have alot to learn. First off i never took note of when i got them. I assume it was in late april. I also got 2 rounds of chicks so one is about a week or so older than the other 3. I have 1 Black sexlink 2Reds and 1 unknown. something that looksl ike a red but has alot of yellow around the neck, anyhoo when they were about 14-16 weeks old I switched them over to a laying pellet at -the advise of the feed store. They are now about 17-20 weeks old. To me they look healthy, theyre plump with good feathers. theyre active and they eat very well, but no eggs so far.

Ive done alot of reading in these forums and it seems that 20 weeks with no eggs isnt that uncommon but it seems that most people are not going to a laying pellet until you see the first eggs. I tried to google this but im getting nowhere. Somewere i read said 6 months for eggs and less production.. what did i do? would it just be better to wack them now and try again next spring?
barnie.gif

Just chalk it up to a newbie mistake and enjoy your chickens! Sure it would have been better if you had waited to start them on layer feed until 20 weeks and/or you got your first egg; but you didn't so no use crying over spilt milk.
Not all chickens start laying at 20 weeks. That's just a rule of thumb. I'm sure you'll be enjoying your first eggs in the near future.

Patience - The eggs will come. I have switched youngs ones over before 20 weeks because I needed to merge them in with the laying flock before 20 weeks. They are all laying fine. Depending on the breed, the time will vary. Also weather, amount of light, etc.

The eggs will come.

It's too soon for wacking them!
My feed store advised to switch them to laying feed at 18 weeks.
Mine are all laying everyday now, they all started at different times. Some weeks apart.
Don't give up yet...... they will lay!!

PS... Let's see a picture of that "mystery bird" we have some smart cookies at BYC, I bet someone will know what she is!

Last edited:
There are lots of opinions about this stuff, but reality needs to be accounted for!
wink.png
If you buy feed that lasts 4 weeks (let's say) and your hens are 16 weeks and may start laying as early as 18 weeks, do you go ahead and get the layer feed or more feed and grow? Well you can't throw the grower feed away and switch to layer the exact day they start laying so there needs to be some give and take. Truth is either one is fine and likely makes no short or long term difference to the hens or the egg production. It is easy to get caught up in worrying about this stuff, but they are chickens and will adjust to lots of stuff just fine. Enjoy them!

I agree be patient. I've got 34 pullets hatched in April. I started getting a few eggs here and there 3-4 weeks ago and now I'm getting about 20 a day. So the point I'm trying to make is they seem to mature at different times. I know a few of mine have been laying for a month and I know others are just now starting.

Good luck, you'll be rewarded soon enought
D.gif

I would have to agree with the rest. I am really new to this, but even my Roo eats laying crumbles. He is still very manly. I don't think it matters all that much as long as they are fed.

Quote:
I have to agree here. My husband eats quiche and he's manly, too!

(Sorry...I just had to say it.)

I think your chickens will be just fine. Mine started getting treats before they were 2 weeks old and it hasn't ruined them. I'm certainly not gonna whack'em!

Back
Top Bottom