1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Did I screw up or will they hatch out fine?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Moochie, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    I'm using a brinsea mini advance incubator and I think I've had the eggs placed wrong in it this whole time.... It is day 15 and everything looks okay from candling... I've been told you're supposed to put the eggs blunt end towards the water pots until lockdown and then you put them blunt end towards the dome. Since the day I set them they've been blunt end towards the dome...
    I'm nervous. I switched them around as soon as I found out but will it even make a difference? I mean I have to turn them around again in 3 days.

2. emrys

emrys Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    When you remove the turner they are going to sit pretty flat anyway. When chicks start kicking around and eggs start rolling they are going to sit every which way. Do you think a hen checks to see which end is up? Probably not. Relax and enjoy the last few days of your hatch.

1 person likes this.
  3. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Phewwy!

4. rominalett

rominalett New Egg

Sep 26, 2012
    Do you have pics?

5. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Pics of the eggs? I have a few candling pics that I took this morning. It's still day 15 as it will be the start of 16 around 2pm. All are 3 different eggs. Some of the pics wouldn't upload from my phone but the rest of the green eggs mostly look the same. I feel like the air sacs are small but I'm not an expert and I haven't hatched anything out in a long time. Since the eggs position isn't going to make a difference I just left them as they were.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Since the eggs inside of that incubator lie on their side anyways, you're fine. It doesn't really matter as long as the larger end of the egg is *somehow* higher than the small end. But since the large end is, well, larger, simply laying them on their side achieves this. As for which end to point to the water or vice versa, that part doesn't matter.

7. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Yeah the large end is higher than the pointy end. I feel rather impatient. These days need to go by faster.

8. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Day 20 and I checked the eggs, some haven't internally pipped yet and it looks like others are trying. They have 5 days though. They can take their time.
    Some part of me doubts that anything will hatch. I had a dream last night where I opened an egg up and the chick inside was sticky and gooey.. and dead.

9. Quyen Le

Quyen Le Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    I have quail eggs inside my hatcher now. It started to hatch from day 17 and today is day 21 and still many of them hatched today. It's 4-5 days late. So chicken eggs can be late also. If you think too much, you will have dreams, good luck with your hatch.

10. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    When I hatched pheasant eggs they were small and I had nothing to put them in so I layed them flat on the bottom of the bator, they hatched fine. be patient and good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by