Did I shrink-wrap my chicks? Update!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FlightsofFancy, Jan 5, 2009.

1. FlightsofFancy

FlightsofFancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Canton, GA
    My Banty Cochins started pipping this morning (11:00) and my humidity dropped over night. So I added water got it up, but wondering if I shrink wrapped my chicks. How do I tell? Is it too late?
    As of 11:30 this evening 1 chick is out, but the other 2 pips have not progressed. I am a first timmer BTW! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    By the time you read this the others should have hatched. It is better to have low humidity, it does need to be up some the last three days. As long as you didn't rise it to high. That would drown the chicks.

3. FlightsofFancy

Jan 22, 2008
    Canton, GA
    what will the membrane look like if it is too dry?

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:My thoughts exactly, I hope all is ok, good luck.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Pip to hatch can be up to ab out 48 hrs. A dry membrane will appear white, like a rubbery plastic. Sometimes, the membrane around the pip can be dry, but the membrane under the shell can be just fine. If it's day 22, and the hatch was on time, not late, and the pips are at least 24 hrs old, you may consider looking into the sticky at the top of this section.

6. FlightsofFancy

Jan 22, 2008
    Canton, GA
    Ok I will check out the sticky! Thank you so very much! The membrane looks just like you said......thick, white and rubbery. OH NO! [​IMG]

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    How are things going this morning ??

Whats your hum at ?

8. FlightsofFancy

Jan 22, 2008
    Canton, GA
    As of this morning we have 3 little banty Cochins (one black and 2 blue) and one egg with nothing. Pretty great odds on my first hatch and test run, if ya ask me.
    They were overly dry and I had to help a bit, but I let them do most of the work once I opened the shrink wrap. Boy, I will never forget the water again. Although....it has been so humid here and then one dry day sent my whole bator into a drought.
    Thanks again!

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Congrats! Im glad they hatched.

10. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Congrats! You did well. [​IMG]
    ~Rebecca

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by