Did I spoil my chick/chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by alessadry, Mar 10, 2017.

1. alessadry

alessadry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Hello all,
    These chicks sure keep me busy!

I got 17 baby chicks mailed 2 days ago, and upon opening the box all looked fine except for one weak chick that had its eyes closed shut. A few hours later opened its eyes and started walking a bit around. Still weak though and wouldn't eat nor drink. So I offered it egg yolk and eagerly ate it from my hands. Problem is, all the other chicks were always trying to eat it too. (Stupid me, last time I was in town I didn't buy another lamp so I could keep this chick separated from the others and feed it calmly).

Anyhow, now have made some progress, The first day ate only raw yolk from my finger, then started giving boiled egg yolk from my hand, and now mixed the yolk with starter mix and electrolytes (sav-a-chick) making a paste and now will eat this paste if offered on a piece of cardboard. (took a while to figure out he can peck on the ground)

Since separating this chick from the others is not possible until Monday when I get another lamp, I started making this paste for all chicks and now it has become their morning and evening treat. I put it on a long piece of cardboard so there's enough of room to share. Since the other chicks eat all day long, after a while they get tired of it, and only the sick chick gets to eat with little competition.

Anyhow, I am wondering if I am spoiling this chick too much, considering that it seems like now is waiting for this paste and won't eat in between. I know this chick didn't anyhow eat from the get-go, but don't know how to progress further. I may start reducing amount of egg yolk (so far using half egg yolk in morning and half egg yolk in evening for all chicks mixed with starter and save-a-chick).

Anyhow, I have 3 questions:
    1) am I spoiling my chick/chicks this way? Is it OK that they are all eating this morning and evening?

2) Also, since day one no chicks were interested in the organic chick starter food as it was. The crumbles seemed too big so we ground it up. Now, we are trying to mix some ground with the bigger pieces, but they pick through and only eat the ground.

3) I am not sure the weak chick drinks enough. From the first day even though we dipped his/her beak in the water, its just very wary and I only see him/her drink occasionally but takes a while to figure out how to drink even though others guzzle the water in front of him/her. If this chick is eating the paste I make that is mixed with save-a-chick into a mush, is that enough fluids?

I think have a bunch of spoiled chicks!

2. Chic Rustler

Chic Rustler Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2017
    Texas
    This may sound harsh, but i give mine water and chick crumbles. If they look down a little bit of honey in the water. If they cant make it on that i can get another one who can

3. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    I say , go ahead and spoil them!! Why not they grow up so fast [​IMG], they won't be adult chickens waiting for their " paste"!!

You are raising them as a good mama would . It is so important that they get all the nurturing and nutrients to grow .... follow your heart you sound like a loving sensitive person [​IMG]
    Keep it up and do your best for them , they will pay you back with yummy eggs and devotion to you[​IMG] !!

Now if you are raising them for money ,and they are just livestock to you,
    Water and chick crumbles only [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by