Did I spoil my girls and need a bigger run?

jbeck013

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 30, 2012
Maryland
My Coop
My Coop
I have 4 girls and built them a 10 x 10 run. I thought that would be big enough but I am having second thoughts right now.

You see, about 2 weeks ago, I started letting the girls out right before dark for about 1/2 hour or so. They tend to stay pretty close to the run and seem to enjoy all the bugs they find in the yard.

Now, when I go into the coop, it's like a mad dash by them to "get out" as they run to the door and I have to kick them away, just to get in.

I told my wife, I think I am going to build an addition for the girls. She thinks I'm nuts.

So - I'll put it out for thoughts and comments. Should I build an addition? Or do they have enough room.

I have 6 hens, their run area is a total of about 600sq feet and they still want out, I get the mad dash and the refusal to be herded back in if they do get past me so I have to agree with angel8035 no matter how much room they have, the grass and bugs are always better on the other side of the fence

I have to agree with angel8035 no matter how much room they have, the grass and bugs are always better on the other side of the fence
Yep!
smile.png
Mine have a huge run, but I still let them out to free range each morning. It's like horses shooting out of the starting gate at the Kentucky Derby when I open that door - stampede.
100 sq.ft. for 4 birds is certainly a decent amount of space - but not as glorious as an entire yard!!

I have 4 girls and built them a 10 x 10 run. I thought that would be big enough but I am having second thoughts right now.

You see, about 2 weeks ago, I started letting the girls out right before dark for about 1/2 hour or so. They tend to stay pretty close to the run and seem to enjoy all the bugs they find in the yard.

Now, when I go into the coop, it's like a mad dash by them to "get out" as they run to the door and I have to kick them away, just to get in.

I told my wife, I think I am going to build an addition for the girls. She thinks I'm nuts.

So - I'll put it out for thoughts and comments. Should I build an addition? Or do they have enough room.
My birds rush me, too! I have them trained to go back into the run with BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds). I just let them escape, it's not worth fighting them and I toss down the BOSS inside their run and watch them all scramble back inside again to get it. Train them with treats! Mine have a large enough run, but they always want out anyway.
wink.png

Ditto the others, it has nothing to do with the size of the run.

I also treat-trained my chickens. I started with a shaker cup of scratch and I'd get their attention with it by shaking and then toss the scratch into the run. The chickens would go in after the scratch and I'd close the door. Once we had that down, I added a bell. I'd still shake the cup and they'd follow me like I was the pied piper. Once we reached the coop, I'd ring the bell and toss the scratch. They learned that bell = yummy scratch in the run. Now, I can walk out to the coop and ring that bell and wherever they are, it's a mad dash back into the run. I kid you not. I no longer fear opening their door to go in for any reason or at any time; I know they will go back in easily.

Back
Top Bottom