Did I waste my money?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mybackyardpeepers, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    Hi all. So yesterday I went out and spent almost $100.00 towards my chickens run. Now I'm questioning if I wasted my money, and may even be harming my babies. The problem is there is so much conflicting information out there. My run is 20x10 half coveted, half uncovered. So here are my questions:
    1). I purchased 4 bags of Virgin Cedar Mulch, after reading it can't have any coloring to it so I spreading it all nicely around my covered side of my run then decided to triple check safety. I saw a site that said it is NOT safe around chickens. What is true safe or unsafe, do I need to go out and rake up 4 bags of mulch before I let my girls out for the day?
    2). I bought 3 plants to go inside the run for the not covered side for some shade. 2 Nortwind Switch Grass and 1 Adagio Grass plant because the guy advised me they were hardy for my area and I would have to replace them every year. I have read several articles saying ornate grass plants are safe, are mine?
    3) Also I have read fern plant are safe too, but are all breeds? There are around 5 different names of ferns here and wanted to get a Queen Fern.
    Thank!!!

2. BirdsBeesTrees

BirdsBeesTrees Crowing

Mar 10, 2019
    Iowa
    I believe cedar puts off a smell that is hazardous also i think their are oils in the wood toxic to absorb through their feet. I'll see if anyone else chimes in since its an outdoor run. :)

3. Mybackyardpeepers

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    This is exactly what I saw after getting home and spreading it out, but did not see anything before purchasing, uggh.

Trimurtisan and Parront like this.
  4. Parront

Parront Crowing

Jul 27, 2017
    Prescott, AZ
    I think cedar is not good for chicks in a brooder. For adults in an outdoor run, I would not rake it up if it were mine. We have lots of Alligator Juniper, a lot like cedar and all the droppings from those trees, leaves & trimmings, make great chicken run material. Next batch, just get the pine.

5. Trimurtisan

Trimurtisan Team flappy foot

May 22, 2019
    A cypress swamp in FL
    Cedar oil is also used in organic commercial pesticides.
    Not sure about safety regarding chickens, but it works really well for bugs.

6. TooCheep

TooCheep Chirping

Feb 23, 2019
    Indiana
    I wouldn't sweat the shavings in the outdoor run very much. Cedar does have aromatic oils that are dangerous to inhale in large quantities. I would be far more concerned if the shavings were in the enclosed coop with the vapor being concentrated and contained or if the coop was built of cedar.

The oil inhalation will be greatly reduced by being outside. Those oils will decline over time naturally as the shavings weather. For future reference, please use pine shavings (common, cheap) or other materials.

As for the plants in your run- You might want to consider putting those shade plants just outside of the run rather than inside. That way, the birds might chomp somewhat on the plants, but not kill them.

7. Mybackyardpeepers

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    That I did read before purchasing lol. But nothing about the chickens.

Trimurtisan likes this.
  8. TwistedSteel

TwistedSteel Songster

Jul 15, 2013
    Florida
    Most likely not a problem in the open space of your run. I wouldn`t put it inside the coop.

Lilyput, Jac Jac, Albertan and 3 others like this.
  9. Mybackyardpeepers

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    Ahhhh the aroma is still strong out there but I just spread it out late yesterday. What about the absorbing through the feet part? They spend a lot of time on the sunny side, but still spend time throughout the day on the mulch side. Got ya about the plants. Is there anything I can put inside for sharing?

10. Mybackyardpeepers

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    Absolutely not, they have sand and regular bedding. Thanks!

Parront likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: