Did lice kill my chicken?

LegbarMama

Songster
Mar 17, 2021
I had a 4 month old pullet die on me last night. She became ill suddenly and died within hours. By the time we found her she couldn't walk or lift her head on her own. She was infested with lice which I hadn't noticed until it was too late. She had multiple seizures died a couple hours later. I'm wondering if it was the lice that killed her or is this another illness I should be aware of?

I had a 4 month old pullet die on me last night. She became ill suddenly and died within hours. By the time we found her she couldn't walk or lift her head on her own. She was infested with lice which I hadn't noticed until it was too late. She had multiple seizures died a couple hours later. I'm wondering if it was the lice that killed her or is this another illness I should be aware of?
It sounds a lot like mareks disease...they often get paralyzed in the legs and get seizures...

Does it happen so suddenly? I was under the impression it goes on for days. This happened within hours. And thank you for your reply!

It sounds a lot like mareks disease...they often get paralyzed in the legs and get seizures...
I have to add that their head also could get paralysis. @Eggcessive may help more...but I recommend getting a necropsy especially if you own other birds because it spreads quite fast and is fatal, there is also not cure for it...of course I may be completely wrong and it may not be it...however, I highly suspect it since the symptoms sound quite like it...

Does it happen so suddenly? I was under the impression it goes on for days. This happened within hours. And thank you for your reply!
Like I said, it may not be Mareks disease, check with @Eggcessive for that, but it’s much better to be safe than sorry, search up Mareks disease and do to “images” does the bird look like yours? I am not sure if it can happen within hours though...was she fine yesterday?

She was up and walking around yesterday until late afternoon. It all happened so suddenly. I'm not sure that it was mareks only bc it didn't seem like her legs were paralyzed so much as just very weak.. but I am new to this all and maybe I'm just in denial bc I do not want this to happen to any more of my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom