1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Did MPC really send me 3 incorrect breeds? What are these guys?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lutherpug, Apr 14, 2016.

1. lutherpug

lutherpug Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm a little freaked out that MPC may have sent me more than one of the incorrect breed. Actual order was 1 Delaware, 1 Dominique, 1 RIR, 1 Buff Orpington, and 1 Partridge Cochin-all pullets. Here's what I've got going on.....I think the BO is almost certainly not a BO (which I find the most upsetting as I really wanted one). The Delaware was not sent. I am not sure if I ended up with a Dominique or 2 Dominiques or something else entirely-Australorp? Barred Rock? Something else? The cochin is not pictured as I'm pretty sure that one is right....

Can anyone help me figure out what breeds these are? I know they're still pretty young but I'm hoping an experienced eye might help.

Chick 1

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick 3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I assume that this is my RIR.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    Did you specify "no substitutions" when you ordered?

3. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    What do you think chick #1 is? Could be a Delaware and 3 looks like it could be a Dominique? I've already gotten chicks that I thought were wrong when they arrived but they developed into what they were supposed to be. Just took me a while to figure out what was what.

4. lutherpug

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    Originally I did specify "no substitutions" but I changed it awhile back as I assumed that if a substitution was to be made that they would have called first. However, the sticker on the inside of the box that they were shipped in had my order correct and included info about which bin each chick had been pulled from.

I suppose it is possible that chick 1 is a Delaware although all the pics I've seen show some black markings around the face and/or eyes. I thought it was my BO until the white feathers showed up... Maybe a white rock? Hoping it isn't a leghorn. I also suspected that chick 3 could be my Dominique but I'm unsure. No clue about chick 2....

I'm really disappointed about the lack of a BO, it was the breed I was looking forward to the most.

5. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I've seen Delaware where the markings didn't come in until later. And feather coloring on a chick can change by the time the chick matures. MPC is usually accurate on what the box is marked.

6. lutherpug

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    I'll repost pics when they have more feathers. I still think something in this order is off-if chick 1 is a Delaware, there is no BO. If it's a BO, no Delaware. Still totally baffled about #2. It may end up being ok in the end but I'm very curious to see what is what.

7. dashuenchen

dashuenchen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    I have two Delaware hens who both looked like your first chick when I got them. The barring came in within a few weeks.
    [​IMG]
    This is how they looked when the barring started to come in. They didn't have any markings on their heads or backs at all before.

[​IMG]

8. lutherpug

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    Hmmmm....maybe she is my Delaware! She and the RIR are the funniest so far. They both run towards my hand every time I put it in the brooder. I'll get my BO eventually, I was just looking forward to it this go around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by