Did my chick eggs die?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Heatherschicks1, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Heatherschicks1

Heatherschicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2014
    I have eggs that I had my hatching day as the 16th and they still haven't hatched. They are in a still air incubator they looked amazing .. I had a batch that failed before this one so I really saw the difference. They had great movement and I stopped turning them on day 18.. I had wiggles I saw movement... Now nothing I had increased the humidity on day 18 and I really want them to hatch.. Should I leave them or help.. I haven't moved them yet I've tapped on them and sometimes get a wiggle they feel solid and were all alive on day 18.. I'm worried my days were off maybe I stopped flipping to early. Any advice??? The brooder box I all ready just no chicks yet :-/

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    If your 'due date was the 16th, it's just a couple days late. Does not mean they died. 21 days is an average. A guidline. And people also count their days differently. First, there is nothing you can do at this point to help. If the chicks haven't externally pipped, they wouldn't have absorbed the yolk. If there are no external pips try candling them. This will give you an idea if any have at least internally pipped. If there are no internal pips then you could water candle if you are comfortable with that. When exactly did you set the eggs?

3. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Also, what have your temps been in the bator?

4. Heatherschicks1

Nov 18, 2014
    I had 28 total about 20 I had put in the bater on the 24th of October it was my first time some were dirty some very porous and the 8 I have now I put in on the 27th of October very clean eggs. The first 20 I had all failed after reading I saw mixed reviewers about clean vs dirty eggs in a bater needless to say they all failed but my 8 clean eggs were perfect great veins lots of movement even when I checked on day 18. I increased the humidity saw some of the eggs wiggling on the 15th and now I haven't really seen anything. I have thought to candle them but I was afraid it might hurt there positioning. And I also read about to much moisture :-/ new to this. The temp with the first 20 I think was off the first 2 days I think that's why they failed but the other 8 have been at a solid 99.5. Wasn't sure if I should water candle or try to keep the eggs moist. :/

5. MelissaBA

MelissaBA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2014
    I'm having a similiar issue...My eggs were rocking and rolling on day 18 and 19. Today is day 20 and no eggs moving...is that a bad sign or are they resting getting ready for the big day?

6. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Ok, first off there are two theories to counting days. I believe in the theory that states you don't count the day you set the eggs as day one. They are not 1 day until they've been in the bator 24 hours. Then they are one day until 48 hours, so you count day one as 24 hours after you set. (There are people who disagree and there are many who go by this way of counting. In my eyes you are only one day past "hatch". It could just be a matter of they are resting after getting into position and are getting ready for the pipping. Also, even though the manufactor's book will tell you 99.5....just about everything you read, and every experienced incubator hatcher you will talk to will tell you that a still air incubator should be at 101-102 degrees, not the 99.5 that forced air bators are recommended for. I would give it at least another day before getting too anxious. You can always pull a couple out and candle as long as there are no pips in the shell. I would wait a couple days before water candling though and only if there are no INTERNAL pips. Hope something happens for you soon. (BTW, the chick in my avatar pic was a day 24 hatcher. :) )
    Not a bad sign at all. I didn't even see much movement at all from any of my eggs until they started pipping. They are probably resting from getting into position.

7. Heatherschicks1

Nov 18, 2014
    What about the flipping the eggs? If I got my date wrong how bad is that for them?

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    It's not. Some people will argue you count the day you set, and they general start lockdown what some of us consider a day early. People do things differently -a day early or late to lockdown isn't drastic. :) As long as the humidity is up for hatch, you should be good. Hopefully you'll see something soon.

9. Heatherschicks1

Nov 18, 2014
    I checked a few candled them I see movement but I do worry about my humidity. My gage I don't think is working right but I had added a extra water dish in the bater a few days ago when I was trying to raise the humidity. My bater windows don't fog up as much like what I have seen in hatching videos I read on one post if I'm worried about the humidity to mist the eggs with warm water?

10. Heatherschicks1

Nov 18, 2014
    Another thing I was curious about when I see a lot of late hatching posts if the time of year would even be a factor. I know that my eggs are in the bater but if the temps outside were cold when I gathered them maybe it delayed the process?? Just brain storming

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by