Did my chick have a heat stroke?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by deuce11705, Aug 9, 2010.

1. deuce11705

deuce11705 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Hi all, I just checked on my chicks and found one laying still like it was dead (we just had one die the other day). When I noticed the chick was breathing so I picked it up. It has odd behavior. It's head was tilted to the left and shook like it was having a seizure and couldn't straighten its head out. I also noticed that when it tried to stand in my hand, only its right leg was working--the left leg seemed too weak. I thought that the chick might have some kind of nerve damage on the left side. Then I got to thinking, could this be a stroke? Some further info-- chick is a Barred Rock born on 8-1-10. We are keeping them in our cabinet shop in a pen with a heat lamp. We left to do some shopping a couple hours ago and I shut the double doors to the shop (but I left the fan on in the window and another window was open for cross ventilation). The thermometer in the shop read 88*F. The chick that died behaved in a totally different way, so I am not thinking these instances are related. Any suggestions?

2. deuce11705

deuce11705 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2010
    Jacksonville
    UPDATE*
    Earlier, I fed the chick some refrigerated hummingbird food from a dropper to help give it a little more energy. I sat it down and it seemed almost normal for a few moments (with only a slight head tilt). It walked around toward the other chicks. When I picked it up, its head tilted a little more. I put it on the feeder and it just stood there. From reading some more posts, I am wondering if it might be crookneck? I am not sure how it would have gotten injured (maybe the other growing chicks jumping around trying to fly and landing on it?), but I am going to get some Polyvisol tomorrow and see how that works out.

EDIT*
    The chick's poo looked clear with a little white in it... it pretty much just looked like liquid (maybe a clue?).

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by