Did my duck just have a seizure?

bock

Songster
11 Years
Oct 10, 2008
Northern CA
I have 10 ducks and 2 geese I ordered from Metzer Farms on 3/22/10. When they were about three weeks old I noticed one of the White Crested Ducks had a cloudy, watery eye, and was having trouble seeing out of it.
hu.gif
I assumed she had hurt herself somehow, and I didn't really worry about it much until they recently began going to the pond during the day. She always gets left behind when we heard them up and down the hill, so I usually carry her.
sad.png
Today, after we brought them up from the from the pond I noticed the White Crested duck shaking her head, like she was choking. I opened her mouth and felt her throat, but I didn't find a foxtail or a fishhook (this has happened to different ducks in the past).
hu.gif
I tried to get her to drink, but she couldn't seem to control her head. I set her down, and she would fall over and run into the fence, so I put her in the pool. She turned over sideways and began sinking, so I held her in the water until she could finally control herself. When I set her on the ground near her flock mates She was still shaking slightly. This all lasted about 2 or 3 minutes before she could walk again. Did she have a seizure or something? I am really concerned about her now, she is always left behind and now she starts flopping around uncontrollably. None of the other ducks and geese have any issues, and they all eat the same food. What could be wrong with her, and is there any way to treat it? Thank you for any suggestions!
smile.png

It sounds neurological but it could be an injury. I wish I had more experience hopefully someone else can help. I would research illnesses, diseases and poisoning of ducks and see what you can find in the meantime.

That sounds A)Neurological - which could be seizures or B) poisoning. - alot of poisoned animals can survive but the brain is damaged and creates neurological problems. If this started out the blue (i doubt its related to the eye) then she may very well have eaten something poisonous...

Theres not much you can do, except pen her up and not allow her into the pond because if she has a seizure on the pond she will sink and drown. give her a very shallow pool or dish, nothing more than 6", even then she could have a seizure and no be able to lift her head out of 6" of water while having it
hmm.png

I would isolate her or her and a buddy and pen them up to keep a better watch on her. If possible film an episode if you could possibly.

How many times has this happened now?

Thank you for the help.
smile.png
I doubted it was related to her eye too, but I wasn't sure. Scaredofshadows, this is the first time I have witnessed her doing this, but it might have happened when I wasn't there. Thanks again, I won't let her out tomorrow.
smile.png

Edited to say: I took Catewin's advice, and found an old post about someone who had the same issue with a crested duck. Apparently they are prone to neurological disorders. They said there were no cures though.
sad.png

Last edited:
sad.png
Sadly thats what can happen with ducks who do not have a skull that covers their whole head... So sorry to hear about what has happened. I hope there is no further instances- but keeping her in a confined area with clean food and water- and even some vitamins if you have any on hand will help with recovery. It may be that she has hit her head and has some temporary swelling- and will be right again in a day or two - at least then there is a better chance of a full recovery. But if it was something toxic she eat- or a more serious neurological issue- her outcome may not be so positive.

Please update with her progress or if she has a follow up episode.

We had a female runner that belonged to my neighbor that had that problem. There was a couple of days where she was lame and when in the pool would flip over. We just did our best to keep her comfortable and would hold her in the water occasionally so she could drink and we could clean her up. On the day we planned to take her to a vet to be put down she came around and started acting normally. As far as I know she now doesn't show any signs of it ever happening and has not had any issues since.

We always figured it started from severe stress caused by raccoons trying to enter their enclosure. Birds hearts are pretty fragile, severe stress could have caused a heart attack which might have been the cause of the lameness.

A lot of poisons use heavy metals if your birds get to something like that they wont recover they may not get worse enough to die but the symptoms would stay because the body has no way to process those metals so they will stay in the body.

Thanks, I will keep you updated.
smile.png
I hope she is okay, I have become kind of attached to her the last few days.
sad.png

I kept the duckie and the other White Crested duck up today. They complained very loudly for about 30 minutes, then they gave up. I had to go to an orthodontist apontment, so I wasn't here to see if she had another seizure. I will leave a different buddy with her every day, just to keep it fair.
smile.png
I hope she will learn to stay by herself during the day, eventually. I think I should name my special little girl. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you for helping my baby!
big_smile.png
Oh yeah, do you think if I hatched some of her eggs that her babies would inherit her problems?

I wouldn't see the hurt in it, as we dont know if this is a genetic problem or not. It "MAY" be derived from her being a crested duck, which if she has crested offspring, they may have issues as well, but that is a genetic roulette with the breed like vaulted silkie chickens- the skull is missing on part of the head creating the upped crest.

Though because how suddenly it came on, I am more partial to thinking it was either head related, poison related, or injury related not genetic.

LOL make everyone spend a day in jail with her?
tongue.png
good idea. If in a week or two she doesn't seem to be any worse for wear or any odd seizure related issues I would try letting her loose again.

Names? For a special white crested...hmmm...
Lily
Mya
Cassy (Cassandra)
Sheba

I am more of a namer of personality and/or looks but these are names that first popped in my head.
smile.png
Post a pic, and tell me about her personality, I can make you a big list!

Thanks, those are cute names! I will try to post a pic tomorrow when there's better lighting. I wish I could name all of my ducks, but with 18 of them you start running out of ideas and just get confused!
lol.png
Thanks!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom