DID MY EGGS GET TOO HOT?

aspenarms

In the Brooder
Feb 14, 2016
MALAHAT, BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA
How do I tell if my eggs got too hot? I've read that on Day 7 they can be accurately candled. If they are clear they are infertile. If they have veins, they are good to keep. How do I tell if they got too hot and they're dead? can this be determined by candling?

If you candle them and no light comes thru, Then they GOT TOO HOT. and are hard boiled.
lau.gif

Now that was only to make you chuckle.. No offense..

I would wait a few days and see if there is progress from what you see today. Candle again. Then you can determine what is happening..

WISHING YOU BEST.
thumbsup.gif

edit..... Also
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Well, maybe baked.... I will wait and see.
Thanks - I was afraid of that.
In the first week if they quite you'll see a blood ring or lack of veining, sometimes with just a free floating black spot in there. As long as you seen veining/movement there's hope. Most of the time, you can tell when you have an early quitter and you candle. Now when they get bigger, it gets harder to tell and my theory is if it doesn't stink it stays in...lol

I am having a lot of trouble candling. I'm just putting an egg on top of a toilet paper roll and using a flashlight, but am not seeing much. I just broke open an egg, cause I was sure they were cooked, but it was developing! so I probably lost a viable one. I am now reassured that I haven't cooked them and at least some of them must be growing chicks. Obviously my candling is not good.

Last edited:
I am having a lot of trouble candling. I'm just putting an egg on top of a toilet paper roll and using a flashlight, but am not seeing much. I just broke open an egg, cause I was sure they were cooked, but it was developing! so I probably lost a viable one. I am now reassured that I haven't cooked them and at least some of them must be growing chicks. Obviously my candling is not good.
Are you candling down into the egg from the air cell end (fat rounded end)? If you candle from the bottom or side you aren't going to get a good picture. I use my hand instead of a toilet paper roll, it allows the light to be closer to the egg. Here's a pic of one of my candles:

A bright light is a must. Mine only cost $10 at TSC, but it works real good as long as it's got new batteries...lol

I've got the temp stabilised. It's Day 10. Today I dropped an egg while turning it and it dented one it fell on. I feel so bad!! Should I leave it? Will the inside membrane be tough enough to protect the chick? Should I wait and see if it starts to smell? I'm such a klutz!

Quote:
I think anyone who has hatched has had some mishaps. You can put a piece of tape over the crack. It maybe ok. I have had cracked eggs hatch. I use a 65 watt mini flood lamp. I put aluminum foil on the inside of the cardboard otherwise the cardboard may catch fire. I have been using this for several years.

If there are any hairline cracks in the egg shell you should be able to see them. I put them in the incubator anyway and they usually hatch.

Mouse over the lower left corner for the video.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom