1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Did my fertile egg die?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fowl weathered friend, Mar 27, 2009.

1. fowl weathered friend

fowl weathered friend Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    I have a fertile ameraucana egg that got a little chilly yesterday for about 2 hours and I don't know how to tell if it died.
    I've candled it before, and I know it was growing and pretty far along, and I tried candling it again, but can't tell whether it's alive in there still.
    Any suggestions, or should I just wait it out?

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:Incubator or Broody hen? What day is the egg on? Eggs ready to hatch out or beyond day 18 are not easy to tell. You just have to wait it out. Patience.

3. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Just wait. I have Ameracauna eggs that when they get full, you can't see through when candling....[​IMG]. But they always end up hatching.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  4. bearfeet3

bearfeet3 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    Wait it out, it probablly made it. I had an egg that still developed after 12hours without heat...

5. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    That's right, worst case scenario, development will be a little delayed. So if it doesn't hatch on the 21st day, don't freak out, give it a day or two more.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by