1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Did my first meat bird harvest!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by milleryardchx, Dec 4, 2012.

1. milleryardchx

milleryardchx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    Well I did a sample batch of my cornishx by myself to see size and processing time. I did 5, 8 week olds in about an hour. I got sizes ranging from 4lb 6oz down to 3lb 14oz all packaged and put away the smallest was a hen. I can't wait to see how the flavor is on these birds since I made my own feed mix for them. local brewery barley mash with oats and corn. I used a road cone for the kill cone which worked very well and was much cheaper than a $35 kill cone. Im making chicken stock this week. An hoping for chicken dinner on thursday :).

1 person likes this.
  2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Congratulations!
    The chicken should be DELICIOUS!
    Wish I was at your house for dinner! [​IMG]

3. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    It's kind of a satisfying feeling seeing the stock on the stove and the chickens in the freezer isn't it? I also saved the cooked gizzards, hearts and kidneys for training treats for my dogs and saved the livers for an awsome chicken liver pate!

4. milleryardchx

milleryardchx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    [​IMG]

Trager smoked first chicken dinner 4lbs 6 oz chicken :) yumm! my 4 year old wanted me to go cook one more just for him he was humming

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by