did she fly away?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KellyandKatie, Jun 19, 2008.

1. KellyandKatie

KellyandKatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    We got some one year old hens and one americana was really good about getting my head tall up in trees and our yard has a 6 foot fence around it, no top on the fence
    Yesterday morning I let all four girls out and fed them
    Yesterday around ten I went to give them some fresh veggies and such, and tehre were only three hens, the americana was missing. She has not shown back up -- and she disapeared in the middle of the day
    Did she jump/fly up onto my fence and get away?
    Or should I be posting this in the predators section about birds of prey?
    We have our two dogs in and out of the yard ( who do not think twice about the hens, they are great dogs- and they keep any neighborhood stray cats away)
    Since she was such a flighty high reaching bird that is what I came up with( and what the kids wanted to hear since she was a love bug)
    BUT I do not want to loose anymore to jumping the fence- I thought 6 feet was plenty tall for these breeds ??

2. amysue2012

amysue2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2007
    Montpelier Ohio
    I keep mine in a 4ft fence with out a top. Ive never had a problem with predators. The first few weeks I keep them in the fence and trim their feathers like a parakeet or some house bird...not to hurt them just so they cant fly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by