Did she fly the coop?

QChickieMama

Crowing
12 Years
Oct 1, 2011
I keep my 5 australorp hens in a barn stall. It has a sliding door that's solid wood half-way up and metal railing from mid-way to the top. The very top of the railing side is maybe 7-8' high, and then there's an open space before the roof begins. The gap is maybe 1.5' high.

Here's the deal: I went in yesterday, and 1 hen is gone. Just vanished. The stick they roost on is maybe 3' off the ground, so it would be another 4' up to the open gap to escape. Is this possible?

They were happy in there. I had removed the mean rooster, and they were beginning to recover from his abuse. They're maybe 2yrs old. I just didn't think they could fly that high, nor that she'd want to get out.

Do you think she could've flown that high to get out?

(The other option is maybe someone took her, which I can't quite imagine either. But we do have workmen around doing a construction project here.)

I have seen some hens do some interesting maneuvers, like flapping wings and sort of climbing, so that they got over a 7' fence. My Australorps easily hop onto a 3.5' roost without even flapping their wings, so I don't think going 4' higher would be a problem for them.

As for wanting to get out, my experience is, some will repeatedly go places you don't want them to, even if they then find themselves anxious about being out of their outdoor yard, and wanting to get back with the flock. Also, chickens typically want to be outdoors, foraging for grass and bugs. They will naturally be outdoors a good deal of the day, even to a degree when it's raining, if allowed.

I found the hen! She had flown up and then fallen between the interior wood siding and the outside metal siding. Poor dear. She was there 2 days, I think, but when dear husband fished her out of there, she looked none the worse for wear! Thirsty was all. The other hens kept scooting up to her to check her out.

Anyway, I'm glad for a happy ending!

Back
Top Bottom