Did she lay two halves of an egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tri-5-ron, Aug 9, 2010.

1. tri-5-ron

tri-5-ron Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Orange County
    Ok, I've never seen this posted or mentioned before.
    (Maybe it has been and I just missed it)

but it seems that my PBR has just laid two halves of an egg,...
    Or possibly two seperate eggs, with only half a shell on each egg ?!?!?!

My daughter went out to collect the days eggs.
    She came running back into the house telling me that "Misty" had just laid a strange egg.
    I went to investigate, opened the egg collection door, and here is what I found...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Daughter walked into the coop at this point, and said there was another one on the ground, that all the other chickens were feasting on.
    She said that the "second" one was not there on the ground when she had come to get me only moments before.

I asked her exactally what happened, and she said that she had opened the collection door, and "Misty"(the PBR) was sitting on top of "Helga"(our Australorp).
    So she(my duaghter), picked up Misty, and moved her to the next nesting box.
    at this point my daughter says that Misty stood up, and dropped this "Half egg" right in front of her as she was watching.
    Misty then hopped out of the nesting box, out of the coop,and down to the ground.

That's when my daughter came running to get me.
    Immediately upon our return, (no more than 60 seconds), is when my daughter finds the other hens eating something on the ground, right where Misty had jumped down from the coop.

so the in the left of the picture, is what we found on the ground, that the other chickens were eating.
    I can only assume that it looked just like the "half egg" in the right side of the pic, only moments before we got there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so now does this mean that space aliens abducted her in the night,
    performing traumatic experiments,
    and planted forein implants for reasearch,
    that has resulted in,
    I now have some sort of emotionally distressed chicken,
    with multiple personality disorders,
    that I need to seek out a Chicken Psycholigist ,
    and register in group support meetings at CLA,(Chicken Lovers Annonymus),
    for chicken keepers families,
    who are victims of the horror,
    brought on by a bi-polar space freak bird?

or is there a good explaination why this bird would lay 2 partially complete eggs only moments apart ???

BTW- this particular bird just started laying about 7 or 8 days ago, and we have gotten 4 or 5 perfectly fine eggs from her.
    The eggs HAVE been a bit small, and have had some white speckles (rough spots) that appear to just be irregularities stuck on the outside surfae of her shells.

(just to be safe,....)
    Tonight, I'm going to make her a little tin foil hat ,
    to protect her from the inevitable mind control radio waves,
    that the aliens are surely transmitting.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  2. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    How weird!! I am no help as your answer...but, wow! That has got to be one of the trippiest things I have ever seen laid! [​IMG]

3. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Just a weird egg glitch. It probably won't happen again (might want to be sure she has access to oyster shell if she doesn't all ready - looks a little thin shelled.)

Cool pics! Thanks for sharing!

4. tri-5-ron

Feb 6, 2010
    Orange County
    Quote:I do not have Oyster shell available to them.
    6 birds, 24 weeks old, all are now laying.

the PBR who laid this "1/2 egg" was the "Late bloomer", and just started laying last week or so.
    She has given us one "No shelled" egg, (It was the first egg she laid),...
    Then we got 3 or 4 perfect eggs from her over the next week,...

Now today, we get two "Half eggs" from her.

All the other birds are laying everyday, with perfectly formed shells.
    As a matter of fact,... Their eggs have some pretty tough shells to crack.

Is it possible for one bird in a small flock, to have differing Calcium requirements from all of the other birds,
    yet they are all eating the same laying pellets?

5. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Your birds will only eat the oyster shell if they need it. They know what they need to make everything work right and will leave it alone if they don't. Stick a small dish of shell next to their food, just in case.

6. emys

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    This last bird may be having difficulty absorbing calcium, or not eating enough layer feed in the heat to get the calcium she needs.

She should eventually straighten out on her own, but because no shell eggs and thin shelled eggs can lead to egg eaters, you will want to give her a boost. Extra calcium and dark leafy greens for her should help.

7. tri-5-ron

Feb 6, 2010
    Orange County
    I will get some Oyster shell today.
    They do get dark greens often. I have a large fruitless Mulberry tree, that I pull whole branches (with leaves) about every 2 or 3 days, and give to the chickens. They love to strip the leaves and eat them. They also get all the weeds that I pull up from the yard.
    They do not "Free Range" by the actual definition of the term, but they do have a large 12' x 24' run. (this is for only 6 chickens). The run has sand on the floor about 2" to 3" deep.
    Fresh water, and laying pellets are available 24/7 both inside the coop and out in the run.
    Temps have been unseasonably cool for So.Cal.( Orange County), this season.
    Only a few days this summer have even hit 90 degrees. (We should be well into the 100's most days by now)

I still think it's the Alien Visitors [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. emys

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Sorry, I meant calcium rich greens like kale or collards. Tree leaves will not contain much calcium (but they are a great green in general - being free and all).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by