Did someone forget to pay the heat/sun bill for Florida?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Ferngully, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Ferngully

Ferngully Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    N.E. Florida
    It is soooooo wrong for it to be these temps in Fl. I am thinking of writing my congressman. Freezing temps all the way down the state. What happened?

Also contemplating bringing ALL 30 of the chickens inside to a spare bedroom, however I don't think DH would appreciate it too much, though he is very concerned for them.

We have everything draft free, but goodness our little chickens in the south just are not used to this kind of weather, neither are the people.

I swear I heard the roo crowing this a.m. yelling "fleeping cold" over and over again. DH pointed out what he was yelling, I went out....dingaling and his girl got out of their pen and were standing out in the cold. Chicken wrangling before sun up is so not fun. Threatened to put him in a box in the house if he didn't behave and quit trying to lead his woman astray.

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I think that we Florida folks and our chickens still have it much easier than most of the rest of the country. I'm in Palm Beach County and I'm not worried about my birds. I even have some hens brooding and a batch of chicks & ducklings I'm keeping outside during the daytime. On the coldest mornings I'll make my flock a pan of warm feed, pouring hot water over a pan of layer pellets and adding red pepper flakes. But they all seem to manage our "cold" weather just fine on their own.

I spend more time protecting the veg garden from the frost, there are too many tender little things in there that will die from the cold. And I will bring in our elderly bunny from her outdoor hutch, just to be on the safe side, and also the 2 tanks of snakes that usually stay out on the patio.

But I know other folks have their chickens out in the snow and they do just fine, so I think my flock shouldn't be badly affected by even the worst cold Florida can create. I'll save my efforts on their behalf for hurricane season.

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    raises hand - I was born and raised in the sunshine state...we had chickens, free ranging year round. never lost a bird to the cold. Now here in Oregon...my heavy girls go out in the snow but they do not like it. [​IMG]

4. Ferngully

Nov 6, 2008
    N.E. Florida
    I'm a weenie, I don't do cold. [​IMG] Currently clad in long johns and heavy clothes. For us, our bodies just aren't used to all this cold.

DS suggested packing up the chickens and heading south for awhile. The islands sound good right about now. [​IMG]

I know the chickens can take it, don't know if I can [​IMG]

5. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    I moved from Philly to get away from the cold! My poor little girls just look at me like I'm crazy when I let them out of the coop in the morning. They literally turn away from me and show their little fuzzy butts! Only good prospect with the cold is maybe it will kill off some of the mosquitos here in GA.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It's my Dad's fault. Last week when we were having an ice storm I called him and he just had to brag about y'all's weather. [​IMG]
    I'll give you his address if you want. You can complain directly to him.

7. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    It seems to me that your bragging a bit of your 30 degree weather.... [​IMG]

I'm still waiting for 30 degree weather [​IMG] We are looking at sub-zero temps for this week.

Oh well before you know you guys are going to be sipping down mai tai's and sitting on the beach... probably in like another 2-3 weeks?

[​IMG] in 2-3 weeks we might be getting lucky and catch a break from the snow and break 35 and maybe.... just maybe I might be able to put the swim trunks on if it's sunny! It doesn't make any sense to me why my gilfriend scheduled a trip to Florida in July... when we have 85 degree days in July??? [​IMG] The smart thing to do is to go in January when it's like 75 in your neck of the woods so we can get a break from this tundra.... [​IMG]

I think the person that pays are heat bill goes on vacation for about six months. Ok I'm done [​IMG]

Someday I will move somewhere warm... but my family is all here and I just can't leave yet. But I can hope right? [​IMG]

8. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    MINE WERE FINE OUT WHEN LAST COLD SPELL WEEK AGO..THEY WILL BE OK AND MY PEN IS NOT ENCLOSED.. ALTHOUGH MY ELECTRIC BILL SAYS WARM UP.

9. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

OOoooops, sorry. [​IMG]

Am I bad! [​IMG]

Check is in the mail! [​IMG]

10. Ferngully

Nov 6, 2008
    N.E. Florida
    Definitely not bragging, and seriously concerned with all the harsh weather the states have been hit with in the last couple of weeks.

Alot of people head south for the winter to warm up for a bit. Would be nice if they didn't need their coats when they got here.

I tell all newcomers do not get rid of your winter clothes when you move here, because by the time their second season of winter here rolls around their bodies have acclimated to the moderate temps and then the 30s do feel cold. Some listen, others that don't...I get to silently chuckle when they say you were right.

July trip oh my, be prepared depending on where you go 100 with 85%+ humidity.

Summer will be the fun, trying to keep chickens cool enough so they don't fry on their own. I have been saving bottles to freeze water in already.

lol it stinks to have 350 month electric bills year round for one reason or another.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by