Did someone say that the father/rooster determines the gender?

Quote:
I guess i'm just a good picker.
wink.png

Thanks for all the great info, everyone!

I don't think there is any evidence to suggest that in humans or chickens a certain individual is more or less likely to produce a specific sex offspring. Just like flipping a fair coin, if you happen get 5 heads in a row, the chance of the 6th being a heads is still only 1/2.

Your particular division of 7 females and 3 males will occur about 12% of the time. And, over 1/3 of the time there will be at least 7 of one sex or the other -- 7 and 3 isn't really unusual. In fact, you're more likely to get at least 7 boys or 7 girls than you are to get an even 5-5 split (which happens about 1/4 of the time).

Tim

Last edited:
Quote:
I have a couple hens (one a BO and the other a Cochin) who hatch cockerels everytime. I can count on them - in fact put their eggs in cause they hatch cockerel (who go to freezer camp). Now this may change if I change Roo, I am not sure.

Quote:
I have a couple hens (one a BO and the other a Cochin) who hatch cockerels everytime. I can count on them - in fact put their eggs in cause they hatch cockerel (who go to freezer camp). Now this may change if I change Roo, I am not sure.

Wow! That's awesome!

Back
Top Bottom