Did Something Stupid...Need advice.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PamB, Nov 27, 2010.

1. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Ok, so I didn't think there was any chance that the sole egg left in my incubator was going to hatch mostly because I hadn't seen movement when candling. This is my first time and because I was concerned about humidity, I stuck an extra bowl/dish of water (it isn't deep) inside to help. Well, now I'm thinking what if it does hatch and I'm not around and it goes into this dish and drowns??!! I was very stupid in that I wasn't thinking and just put the dish on top of the grate. What do you suggest? I haven't opened the incubator at all and don't want to, but should I get this dish out of there very quickly or is that too much of a risk?

2. humster

humster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2009
    New Mexico
    I did the same thing. I realized when the hatch started that one of the chicks did go straight for the dish and hang out in there. I was fortunate in that the water evaporates out fairly quickly and it was pretty much empty after two days (during lockdown). If you do choose to remove it, I would have a glass of warm water in hand and quickly pull the dish out of one side of the bator without removing the whole lid and pour in the warm water quickly to negate any temporary humidity changes. I think a small humidity shift for a short time would be ok.

3. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    remove it, or at least cover it with wire.

4. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Thank you. I took it out and added the warm water. The humidity didn't change much, but now I'm waiting for the temp to go back up a few degrees.

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    temp ,will come back,just don't adjust it.....to hot will kill it.

6. rockinpaints

rockinpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Ohio
    I did the same thing then had the same after thought. I put a sponge in the bowl to soak up the water and still produce the same humidity (and safe) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by