did the cocci treatment but still having trouble with runny poops

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tansyflower, Nov 6, 2013.

1. tansyflower

tansyflower Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2013
    so i lost two little 10 week old chicks to cocci....they had blood in their poop and it has been a very wet fall. so i have been doing the cocci tx in their water for about a week now and the blood has gone away, but some of them still have runny diarrhea poops instead of well formed poop. my friend told me to continue treating them until their poop was normal, but its been long enough that i am starting to wonder if i should stop, give them vitamin water for a few weeks then do another tx. thoughts? what would you do next?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Chickens naturally have some wet, loose droppings, called cecal droppings. Cecal droppings are smelly, soft, sometimes foamy, and often a golden-red color. They are perfectly normal; about 1 out of every 10-15 droppings is cecal. If your chicks are having more runny droppings than that, then I would suspect that they still have some intestinal irritation/damage from the Coccidia, and it will be a while before they fully heal. As long as they are acting normal otherwise, there is no need to treat for Coccidiosis again.

3. tansyflower

Oct 23, 2013
    okay this puts my mind at ease! 95% of the dropping are normal, but there are always one or two piles that look like what you describe. otherwise they are very alert, happy and eating and drinking well.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Don't treat them longer than 7 days. You should put vitamins and probiotics in their water now for a few days to get their bowel bacteria back to normal and replace vitamins they have lost.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  6. tansyflower

Oct 23, 2013
    i am doing that with my other chickens, but THIS pullet is still having bloody cocci stools. what should i do for her?

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's possible that the pullet has not drunk enough of the treated water or that you have a resitant strain of coccidia. If you can find sulfadimethoxine (also called Di-Methox, Albon, and Sulfamed-G), I would start her on it. It is a sulfa drug that works as an antibiotic as well as anti-cocci med. Here is a link for it: http://www.jefferspet.com/di-methox-soluble/camid/liv/cp/A2-DA/

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by