Did these eggs come from the same chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lutherpug, Sep 7, 2016.

1. lutherpug

lutherpug Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    We got our first egg yesterday (yahooooo!!!!!) but we have no idea which chicken laid it.

We got another egg this afternoon and, again, don't know who laid it. It's roughly the same size as the first egg but is noticeably darker. What do you think-are two chickens laying or just one? Is there this much variation usually?

If it helps, the 4 chickens are a Delaware, Australorp, Dominique, and RIR.

Everyone is 21 weeks and a few days old.

[​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Usually a hen will lay a similar shaped egg every time. The color sometimes changes. They do share a similar shape so it's possible it's from the same hen, but I can't say for positive that it is.

3. lutherpug

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    I suppose I should just be happy that I have 2 eggs! Ha! It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few days.

[​IMG]

4. mamatink7

mamatink7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    congratulations!! Ours just started last Tuesday. The lighter brown IMO is a black austrolorp egg, we got one looked identical and I know it was one of the 6 austrolorps. They lay much smaller at the beginning-every other egg day we get med to large egg. Our laying pullets are now 19wks.

5. mamatink7

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    Oh yeah, you can always do the squat check...if you run your hand softly down the backs, they squat or if they follow you around more than usual, check vent for it being wet...those are the layers or close to laying
    Good luck. Don't worry. I'm wanting more each day or just to find out who is laying also, but I'm just happy when we get eggs. Disappointed today was 1.

6. lutherpug

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    I just went out to check again....nothing! Maybe these are from the same hen. Who knows. I took tomorrow and Friday off work to catch up on some things around the house, maybe I'll have better luck tomorrow since I can check in more often.

7. mamatink7

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    good plan. Chances are from 2 different pullets, since it's rare to have a new layer lay 2 days in a row. Seems our layers are between 9-1230 am. None before and been only one egg at around 2ishpm.

8. lutherpug

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    Interesting... I came home from work today around 12:30 and nothing. Went out to check again at 4:30 and voila, egg. It was still somewhat warm when I found it. I didn't get home early yesterday so I have no idea when that one was laid. I'll be anxious to check again tomorrow. I'll make it a point to get down there several times and try to get a better idea.

3 of our 4 girls are squatting-it is only the RIR who is late to the squatty party [​IMG]

The Dominique started squatting about a week ago, the Australorp a few days after. The Delaware just started today to my knowledge. Poor Waffles (RIR) doesn't know what's happening to her coop mates :) I'd love it if they were all laying by the end of the month!

1 person likes this.
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You almost have to live in the coop to catch them....BTDT...lol.
    I still run down to the coop 20 times a day when the pullets start laying each year.

Checking pelvic points can help to find out who as they first start laying.

Signs of onset of lay---I've found the pelvic points to be the most accurate.
    Squatting:
    If you touch their back they will hunker down on the ground, then shake their tail feathers when they get back up.
    This shows they are sexually mature and egg laying is close at hand.

Combs and Wattles:
    Plump, shiny red - usually means laying.
    Shriveled, dryish looking and pale - usually means not laying.
    Tho I have found that the combs and wattles can look full and red one minute then pale back out the next due to exertion or excitement, can drive ya nuts when waiting for a pullet to lay!

Vent:
    Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
    Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying

Pelvic Points 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
    Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
    More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

10. lutherpug

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    All awesome information, thank you. I haven't checked pelvic bones....

Unfortunately, I ended up having to come to work today with a raging case of bronchitis so my plan to do vigilant coop watching went right out the window. I have, however, convinced my husband to check every 2 hours so we can narrow down a better timeframe to keep an eye out over the weekend. Silly girls, I just want to know who is leaving us gifts!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by