1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Did they eat a rotten egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Yay Chicks!, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I have four hens. Today, I got four eggs. HOWEVER, I caught them chasing each other around with a half of an egg shell. By the time I got to them, there was only a tiny piece of shell left.
    They do not free range. There is really no where for them to hide eggs. The only thing I can think is that one of them laid an egg in the run at some point, it got dirt and leaves kicked over it and they happened to uncover it today. They are NOT egg eaters. They did eat a thin shelled egg once, but it was already cracked and that was many months ago. I'm guessing this egg got cracked, or exploded (ewww!).
    So, my question is this, since I have no idea how old this egg they ate was, would hens eat a rotten egg? And, if they did eat a rotten egg, what would the consequences be?
    I fed them some plain yogurt and put some ACV in their water in case that would help.

Thanks.

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Yay Chicks! :

I have four hens. Today, I got four eggs. HOWEVER, I caught them chasing each other around with a half of an egg shell. By the time I got to them, there was only a tiny piece of shell left.
    They do not free range. There is really no where for them to hide eggs. The only thing I can think is that one of them laid an egg in the run at some point, it got dirt and leaves kicked over it and they happened to uncover it today. They are NOT egg eaters. They did eat a thin shelled egg once, but it was already cracked and that was many months ago. I'm guessing this egg got cracked, or exploded (ewww!).
    So, my question is this, since I have no idea how old this egg they ate was, would hens eat a rotten egg? And, if they did eat a rotten egg, what would the consequences be?
    I fed them some plain yogurt and put some ACV in their water in case that would help.

Thanks.

they will probably be fine- they would eat worse if you let them.​

3. Yay Chicks!

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Thanks, FireTigeris. You're probably right about that [​IMG]

Anyone actually have their birds eat a rotten egg?

4. me2pl

me2pl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    Chico, California
    some chickens eat McDonald's, they will definitely be all right

5. Yay Chicks!

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Quote:HA! [​IMG]

6. dparadise

dparadise Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2010
    southwest Florida
    I found that they will eat almost anything, mine steal bones from the dogs and then fight over them! The only thing that they don't seem to like is uncooked broccoli and carrots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by