did they make it through the outage?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by raymondjames, Oct 31, 2011.

1. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    yesterday my power was murdered (seriously, nstar!?) and was gone about 5 hours. I actually drove the incubator over to a friends house who had power to keep 'em alive. Some are on day 21 and some on 17. Do you think they're alive?

ANYBODY!!??

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    For five hours. Probably OK. It does depend in how cold they got, but it takes quite a while for the interior of the egg to cool off enough to do much damge. Temperature spikes are much more risky.

It's not a good thing, but the cooling down like that probably won't affect your hatch.

3. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    They were only in the outage for 20 min, with 20 min in car, so 40min with low temp. i think they made it but the bator is still at my friends house lol

4. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I had a similar situation...eggs were without power for about 45 min...on day 21 for 2 of the eggs. One hatched fine on day 23, the other died but from malformations and not likely from the cooling. They never got below about 80 degrees.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by