Did they stop laying for good?

Zwillingsmama

Songster
Jun 7, 2018
SF Bay Area
I have 5 3 year old chicken. 2 of them have not started laying (this would be their third year laying). My SS and my OE have not layed since last late fall. BR and BCM are still strong with 3-4 eggs a week while my EE has 2-3 eggs. Just debating if I should replace them, keep them even though they don’t lay or if there is still hope for eggs.

Last edited:
Oh, yes they will keep laying. My RSL is in her third year, and only started back up a few weeks ago. My Welsummer is in her third year, and finally started back up today. I am still waiting for some only in their first and second year.

They should start up again just fine. They will probably lay a bit less than last year, but you should still be getting a decent amount of eggs. It's finally that time of year where things start to pick back up. Give it a bit of time and you'll be rewarded before too long.

Of my older birds (around 3 yrs and up) only 2 have resumed laying thus far, and 1 resumed today. So still plenty of lengthening days for the others to start up again.

I do have a completely retired layer that quit at around 3 maybe, but that's not the norm.

Back
Top Bottom