Did we boil the roo for nothing? Pecking Order..pics

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bragabit, Apr 28, 2009.

1. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    We got our flock last month. We are first time owners, and loving it. When we got the 8 hens the Barred Rock was in perfect condition and the oldest. Next was the two hamburgs again with just some peck marks on the head. Then came the Easter Eggers they were all missing feathers on their back in various degrees. The EE roo that came with them was raised with the girls and he 'loved' them a lot. We thought he was too rough, as we caught him holding the hens down and stealing food from their mouths at treat time. So the previous owners took back the roo...and had a nice dinner. So roo gone, new banty roo in. The feathers are not coming back, it seem like once we get some growth the new growth disappears. Is this from pecking? I have included pics. What does this mean for my 13 baby chicks?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I don't have any advice... but *ouch*!

3. jprice2ndlt

jprice2ndlt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    I know i had a pecking problem and somone told me to put vics vapor rub on the spot. I did it and the pecking stopped. They get the taste in their mouth and they cant get it out and the quit. hope this helps.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Looks like they need some saddles to allow the new feathers to come in & prevent the picking behavior.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    It looks like to me some serious mating has been going on. Some Roos prefer certain girls and will mate them most and wear the feathers off of their backs. Saddles help.

6. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    Well the rooster is gone, so should we still get some saddles?

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Saddles would protect the hen's new feather growth to keep the others from picking at them while they regrow them.

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

It looks to me like saddles would help, that was my first thought.

If nothing else, I would be afraid they might get sunburn! (do chicken get sunburn if they lose feathers?)

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Turkens can get sunburned on their exposed flesh, so I imagine it's the same for any chicken. Either way, saddles should help.

10. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Even a banty roo will mate a standard size hen if he can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by