Did we end up with 6 boys out of 8 chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by StevieNay, Mar 1, 2012.

1. StevieNay

StevieNay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2012
    We bought some straight run chicks from a man who had a little family owned flock. We picked them ourselves at 3 and 4 weeks old. They are now between 4 and 5.5 weeks old. They're mostly mutts (parents are standards, but these are all crosses other than the RIRs as far as we know). We didn't care too much as long as they'd handle some chilly winter nights and give us eggs.

Several have pink in the combs... does that always mean it's a roo?
    #1. Buff orp. (?) Our little bully... He's bigger and even has red on the wattles, too.
    [​IMG]
    #2 We call it Hedwig and love it because it is sweet and doesn't mind being held. Smaller comb, but has wattles and there's definitely pink in the comb. white orpxleghorn (I think)
    [​IMG]
    #3 RIR... We have three like this one. This one is feathering out slowly, but grew its comb over night.
    [​IMG]
    #4 RIR The only one we have hope is a hen... tiny comb, smaller body, and nearly fully feathered out.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    #5 BR cross. Some red in the comb and wattles, but this one is smaller than our other BRx chick and has a much smaller comb.
    [​IMG]
    #6 Our other BRx. Comb got really big in a single day and is now getting pink.
    [​IMG]
    #7 Our third RIR.
    [​IMG]

I'll post a pic of #8 tonight.

No one wants 6 of 8 chicks to be roos, but know it happens. We're wondering if we should wait or if we should get ourselves a few that are sexed gals to make sure we end up with 4 hens.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I have to agree with your assessment. Slow feathering and sprouting a comb overnight is classic roo. To be honest, the only one that looks female at this point is #4.

3. StevieNay

Feb 17, 2012
    Thanks for the input. I guess it's time to start inviting friends for a big BBQ next month...

4. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    I have to agree with you and Pele. But, you may not want to invite your friends if you intend to BBQ those little buggers next month. LOL. (Most dual-purpose breeds take about six months to fill in.)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  5. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    x2

6. StevieNay

Feb 17, 2012
    Thanks for the insight.

Problem solved, we gave most away on CL and got some sexed pullets. We kept the little RIR pullet and two others for company while they fill in. [​IMG]

7. It may have been possible that #2 AND #4 were pullets but #2 is highly improbable...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by